Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE7 Help

• Please log in to reply

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I just downloaded the new beta of IE 7 and I went to install it and recieve a message saying that I have to unistall the versoin thats already installed. All right, I can deal with that. Well i got to Add/remove programs, and there is no hint of IE at all, even with show updates enabled. No big deal, I can go into the windows folder and find the uninstall maunally. It's non existent. I can't find a way to uninstall IE7 beta 2 at all. I really want to install beta 3 but I can't. Does anyone know what to do cause Ive searched and can't find any informatio about this problem anywhere else.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Scroll down to uninstall part:

IE 7 Uninstall

Covers Beta 1, 2 and 3.

Ron

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
I know where to uinstall it from, the directory just doens't exist. I can't find any trace of an uninstall.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The page gives you instructions on what to do if you do not find IE 7. Did you read all of it and run the commands suggested?

Ron

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Yes, Ive tried the commands and I get a message saying...

http://i29.photobuck...dom/Message.jpg

I followed all the othe instructions trying to find it maunally but it's like none of the uninstall information exists.

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
yea I had a similiar problem, no one ever likes this recomendation but you could try and delete the program files folder (just IE7 i mean not the entire thing) and then remove it from the directory, if its not in the directory then just delete the program's folder and try installing the beta 3 (after restarting your computer) I would turn you network connection off while you install it because it will try to update it and that was the biggest source of problems for me. OR you could try system restore.

Edited by master_with_a_problem, 30 June 2006 - 08:59 AM.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Could you be a little more specific please?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
n/a

Edited by james_8970, 01 July 2006 - 08:49 PM.

jhempelayo

jhempelayo

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Have you try this
Open Add-Remove Programs, check the Show Updates box and under Windows XP - Software Updates select Microsoft Internet Explorer.
i got same problem before,

in my case i have to do it twice the uninstalling
first i uninstall but the problem still persist so what i did is

There is a $uninstallie7beta (or similar name) folder in the Windows folder. Within that folder is another folder called spuninst (or similar) and it has a .exe that launches the uninstall program. The problem is when you click on it you get a msg that says you have to run it from the same acct as you installed from (like others have said). Simply edit the spuninst.inf file in the folder, scroll down to the section "Prerequisite" and remove those 2 lines. Save the file, and viola! The uninstalled worked beautifully and my IE6 is back.

Pianoman16

Pianoman16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
All of the $uninstall folders in the windows folder are for Windows Security updates and one for Windows Installer 3.1. I can't find any trace of an uninstall for IE. This is ridiculous.

Advertisements

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am having this same problem too. I downloaded IE7 Beta 1 and tried to uninstall it but its not in Add Remove Programs, and I put those commands in Run but it still didnt work either. This is gay....why cant you just go to add remove programs and uninstall it?

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
You should be able to go to add and remove programs to unistall it, but because it is gay it won't let you. So I suggest you guys stay the [bleep] away from the betas (other than wmp 11 thats actually surprisingly successful). Now one option is to go to START ->ALL PROGRAMS-> ACCESSORIES-> SYSTEM TOOLS-> SYSTEM RESTORE. Select that you want to restore your computer to an earlier time, now depending on what programs you have on their you might have a great number of restore points (windows defender will create a great number of restore points through out the day). You should find a restore point that is located before one metioning IE7 beta installed, if you cannot find one that mentions IE7 then find a restore point that you know was deffinitally before the install of IE7 but not to long ago. tell me how that works. (this should help for both people)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
drew28 try Major Payne suggested web site in post 2, see if that helps you. If not, please start a new topic for you problem, since it'll get confusing in here.
thanx
James

master_with_a_problem

master_with_a_problem

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
This is the useful piece of information I got of the page recomended by major payne, if this proves not to be helpful system restore offers a fighting chance against the recent install, there is no confusion here.
"Installation Errors

If you receive notification that the installation failed you should always reboot your system to ensure that any changes made during setup are completely undone.

For more information on the problem, you can refer to the log files at:
%windir%\ie7beta3_main.log
%windir%\ie7beta3.log
%windir%\ie7beta3Uninst.log

where %windir% is the location of your Windows directory, which can usually be found at C:\Windows.

If you receive the error "Setup was unable to open the log file for writing: C:\WINDOWS\ie7beta3_main.log", log in with a user account that has administrator privileges and re-run IE 7 Beta setup.

Updating or Reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3

You cannot install Internet Explorer 7 over itself. If you want to reinstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 (or install a newer version) you must first remove any existing Internet Explorer 7 versions.

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
# Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
# Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
# Scroll down to "Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3", select it, and then click "Change/Remove".

If you cannot find any Internet Explorer 7 entry in "Add or Remove Programs", run
%windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, Beta 2 Preview, or Beta 1

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, Beta 2 Preview, or Beta 1 and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003

* Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel"
* Click "Add or Remove Programs"
* Scroll down to "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" or "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview", select it, and then click "Change/Remove".
* If not found, check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box, scroll down the list to "Windows XP - Software Updates", select "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" or "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1" and then click "Change/Remove".

If you cannot find any Internet Explorer 7 entry in "Add or Remove Programs", try running these commands. Each is for a different release of Internet Explorer 7 so only one will succeed.

* %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
* %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
* %windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
* %windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)

Hangs During Uninstall--If the uninstall process hangs while removing Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, delete any custom sound schemes created after installing the Internet Explorer 7 Beta and retry the uninstall.

Internet Explorer 7 Fails to Install from Specified User Account -- If you see an error message saying you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from this user account, and you're sure it's the account you used to install, or the original installation account has been removed, you can bypass the check by:

* Click 'Run" and type 'regedit' from the Start menu
* Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft]InternetExplorer
* Right click the 'Internet Explorer' key, choose 'new', and then 'DWORD value'
* Enter 'InstalledByUser' as the name and hit 'Enter' to finish creating the new register key
* Retry uninstalling Internet Explorer 7"

drew28

drew28

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
None of the stuff that master_with_a_problem said worked. I looked at the post Major Payne had but none of that stuff worked either. I can't do system restore because I didnt have it enabled until yesterday, when i tried to do system resotre, realized it was off, so then i enabled it. So am i screwed? stuck with ie7 beta 1 forever?