Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wont recoginze my memory....

• Please log in to reply

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
i just got 2 (a total of 4 GB) more GBs of Ram the other day....but to my dismay windows XP PRo sp2 only recognizes 3.25 gigabytes of ram i ran dxdiag.exe and it says the same...but wen i run cpu-z it recognizes all 4....is it a windows bug? Also my BIOs only recognizes 3.24 so mebe its a bios issue? and help?

Advertisements

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Greetings,

The obvious question I have is, "What model / make / year is your machine?"

Speculation -> It is not likely Windows XP is the issue, so your problem begins to point towards the Bios (age - which is also unlikely if your machine is newer than 2000) or perhaps some on-board Mobo device that is stealing primary memory from the overall pool.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the physical memory as some of the available memory is recognized. But without more details, it is hard to guess.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows XP has issues when the amount of memory inside the computer reaches the 4Gb point. This doesn't affect XP 64-bit, nor will it affect Windows Vista next year.

In lieu of this, quite a lot of motherboards at this time don't give you the full 4Gb when you put it in, or run the memory at a slower speed or not report the full amount.

XP (and DxDiag) report what the BIOS sees, so if BIOS is only reporting 3.2Gb of memory, Windows will only report 3.2Gb. CPU-Z gets down on a deeper level though for its information.