Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

About Automatic Updates.

• Please log in to reply

MaMister

MaMister

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi, wonder if there is a tweak reg. file or script that can totally remove automatic updates (not disable thru control panel or gpedit.msc)?

Edited by MaMister, 29 June 2006 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
y would you want to do that?

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

y would you want to do that?

Because I would like to control my update using update packs (ryanvm) and not from microsoft website.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hi MaMister,

disabling Automatic Updates from Security Center does give you control over how you update your computer...have no idea whether there is such an edit like the one you're looking for though...

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I remember turning off the automatic updates at the security center and later it popups a icon on my task bar say 'automatic update is not enable' or something like that telling me to enable, but I did turn off the 'change the way security centre alerts me' too.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hi, wonder if there is a tweak reg. file or script that can totally remove automatic updates (not disable thru control panel or gpedit.msc)?

Automatic Updates can be turned off through System Properties, click Automatic Updates tab and checking the box to turn them off. Any update(s) can also be uninstalled, but it begs the question why?

Ron

MaMister

MaMister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Yes, I know it can be turn off, but will it prompts to you somehow that it is off and reminds you to turn on?