Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Toshiba Sat. A45 problems after start-up

• Please log in to reply

curtis2929

curtis2929

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I wondering if anyone could help me out with this:

I have a Toshiba Satellite A45 w/ Windows XP and Norton Internet Security 2006, the other morning it was working fine but later in the afternoon when I turned it on, everything came up normal but only part of the bottom toolbar came up, then I noticed nothing else would really respond(ex. I would dbl-click to get on the Internet, the hour-glass would appear, then disappear and nothing would happen. If I try to bring up the Control Panel or Help & Support, the same thing would happen(hour glass then nothing) I tried to do a System Restore, but that didn't work. Should I try the Recovery Disk? Or seek other help?

Thank you for any help or advise anyone can give me!!

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Curtis2929,

What exactly happened when you tried to do system restore? Did it say "unable to restore to ..."?

The recovery disk is worth a try, but if you have a virus or malware resident in your computer it might not fix it or just not work. Your symptoms suggest virus/malware infestation is a possibility.

Norton 2006, for all its bells and whistles, won't catch everything (in fact no antivirus program does) - it can only fix things it knows about, or the generic type of nasty it should look for. I'm not saying "YOU HAVE A VIRUS" but rather it would be useful to eliminate that possibity.

My suggestion:Try posting in the malware forum (read the stickies first) and if you have a clean bill of health then come here. Bear in mind that I'm not G2G staff, and anything they say goes round here. Failing them suggesting an alternative route - try it.

Digikiwi