Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winzip (or similiar) -

• Please log in to reply

reinsurance

reinsurance

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I need to copy a folder at the end of each day - and only copy files in that folder that have been
modified or created since the last copy . I rpefer to copy via zip. Can someone please tell me
how do you use Winzip to copy only modified or new files since a specified date , as I cannot
locate the command or method in the help of Winzip. Or is there a beter way - or application ?
Thanks, Gerry in Perth, Western Australia

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Hey Gerry, Welcome to G2G. Unfortunately unless you know a bit about scripting your not going to be able to do that with winzip. It would be easier to use robocopy.

robocopy list of commands

robocopy is part of the windows 2003 server resource kit download here

It's quite versital. If you need to zip it or anything after that then you should be able to just create a series of bat files to do what you need.

WindyPants

WindyPants

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah, as I was reading the OP's description, I thought to myself how perfect Robocopy would be for the task.

In a past life, I had 26 remote branches connected back to HQ via Frame Relay. Each branch had a small server with an attached DAT drive. I wanted a second level of redundant backups for DR purposes, but I did not have a budget for a real solution.

Instead, I used Window scheduler and Robocopy. I automated the jobs to kick off at night, and in the morning I could review the status. Since you can configure Robocopy to touch only changed files, the copies went very fast.

And like StarJax mentioned, you could get very fancy with the Batch files and create a methodology to zip the end result on the fly.