Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no signal, tried everything to my ability

• Please log in to reply

dimi16

dimi16

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
let me first give you the components of my computer

768 ram 1 at 512 other 256 both at 266 mhz
athlon 1800+
motherboard?
350w powersupply
80 gig hd
9600xt

heres the problem

when i go to start my computer the fans go wrrrrr and it powers up all the components (at least all the ones i can check) the hd starts all fans start but there is no signal to the monitor, ive done some self testing so far to see if i could isolate the problem

tried the monitor on both onboard and 9600xt video cards no luck
two different hd.. no luck
tried both ram sticks together and alone, no luck
tried the monitor on a different computer, there is a signal it works flawlessly
tried it on a different mobo and in that case the hd in the computer now caused a red LED light to come on in the mobo and on the front. That may be because the parts of that computer are OEM because when i tried another hd no red lights came on. Even so i dont think the HD can be the source of the problem because i tried two different ones in different situations, only problem i havent checked is that of the power supply and maybe it isnt fully powering the computer? which i think is doubtful because ive never heard of a Powersupply just burning out the the point of not being able to run the computer but not all the way. when i start the computer no sort of beeping comes on to signal what the problem is.

im on a pretty tight deadline here as to when i can have this fixed by because i need this computer to work on some files for a game mod (which are on the original hd) and i dont have another computer in the house that can run the modding programs efficently. All help will be appreciated the geekstogo staff has come through in the clutch for me before and i hope it can happen again.

with much thanks
Dimi

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am fortunate enough to have plenty of spare parts. I would do this routine for your computer. Replace ram with known good stick, replace power supply, swap CPU with know good one, swap motherboard.

I have had a PS power system up but immediately lockupbefore i could even start installing a OS. Bad PS with a low 12v line was the problem. Also has bad ram blue screen the computer during a install. A customer came oin with a puter he had replaced the Processor in. He did not unplug the computer from the wall switch and burnt the processor installing it. Someone else tried using a socket 775 heatsink on a athlon proccessor and cracked the corner of the die. The computer would start, lights and fans come on but nothing else. I've seen lots more so that why i say the above process of elimination.

What i would really do here is pull the MB out, place it on a pizza box, and start swapping parts until the problem is found. It takes me about 3 hours to build a new computer and maybe 5 hours to disassemble and rebuild. I dont bother continuous replacement of parts. Thats why i keep known good parts of everything i can find.

SRX660

trunolimit

trunolimit

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Maybe you can try to reset the cmos or go to a freinds house and creat a boot disk. what i'm thinking is that there is a problem with the bios. i had a similar problem but in my case the monitor would just stay black as if in power save mode, so i got an old spare graphics card i pulled from an old compaq and used that card to fix the problem on the new card. i updated the drivers and all worked well after.

or try pulling out your ati card and only using the onboard graphics. then set your onboard as primary graphics component put your ati card back in and update the driver for it.

Edited by trunolimit, 01 July 2006 - 09:10 AM.