Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random conputer lockups

• Please log in to reply

neelyl

neelyl

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

It seems like only two weeks ago my computer started locking up for no apparent reason. A lockup can occur anytime after 5 minutes to over 5 hours running time, but the one thing I have noticed is that once it locks up, it will not restart for 2 to 3 hours. I found this web site and went through the malware cleaning section and I was quite amazed! I run Norton and Adaware and I thought my system was clean. However, this was not the case as the other tools found all kinds of bugs ravaging my system.

Once clean, it does run better and the lockups are less frequent. I then ran the memtest for three passes with no errors. Next was SpeedFan and I noticed that the +12V reading was 0.00V and Fan 1 & 2 both report 0 RPM. All fans are working and the computer is not overheating.

My computer is about 4 years old, with an Intel 850 motherboard with 512k of ram. Intel processor is 1.8.

I once received a stop code of 0x0000008E, which M$ says occurs during Windows setup and means that one of the Ram modules may be faulty.

So where do I go from here?

I look forward to hearing from you but understand how overworked you are. I'll try to be patient.

Thanking you in advance for your advice...

7/1/06-1:07AM - I just ran the minidump debugging tool - Page Fault In Non Paged Area (0x50) Invalid system memory was referenced-

Edited by neelyl, 01 July 2006 - 12:10 AM.

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It could be a failing hard drive. Backup your data if you haven't done so already just in case...

For the memtest, sometimes even faulty ones can pass. So what you can do is try plugging them into another memory slot if you have extra ones available. See if it still happens. If not, one of the slots are bad. If it does and you have more than one memory stick there, take one of them out and see if it still locks up. If it doesn't, take the one you have there out and put the one you took out back inside. See if it freezes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi neelyl...

Does SpeedFan show the temperatures? If it does, what are the highest temperatures you've seen it report?

wannabe1

neelyl

neelyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Verified Maxtor drives with PowerMax and they are backed up.

Tried to take out 1 pair of memory and it would not work. It says it needs continuity RIMMs.

Speed fan does not show temperature.

I've been trying to recall exactly how this all got started and it seems to me the very first error was a "CMOS checksum error". When it locks up, I rarely get a BSOD. When I try to restart, sometimes the monitor will show an "out of range error" and display some vertical and horizontal ranges. Mostly, however, it just comes up with "No Signal" on the monitor. If I wait an hour or two, presumably to let things cool off, it will be OK until it locks up again, usually after 1 to 4 hours of use. My drives and processor are monitored for temperature and check out OK. If it is heat causing this, what else could it be besides the video card (ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV)? Do you think heat could cause this? How do you tell if a video card is going bad?

I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert, but this is how it seems to behave. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
PowerMax said the drive itself is ok?

Do you by any chance have a live Linux CD like Knoppix? I want you to get it if you don't and burn it to a CD (as an image since it's an ISO file). Then boot from it and see if you get any lockups. No need to know what you do in the Knoppix CD...just browse around casually in there just to see if it locks up again. If it won't lockup, it's most likely a software/Windows issue.

Did you install or remove anything (software or hardware) before you had this issue?

I suggest running Knoppix if you can..this should be no problem if you have high speed internet. Just download it and burn it to a CD to use. Otherwise, you can try narrowing down which program/driver is causing the issue or just reinstall Windows.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if speedfan isn't giving you any temps or fan speeds ..its just doesn't work with your mobo...get everest ..install and run it..look at my attachment to get to the section you need...capture a pic of yours and post it back here

http://www.softpedia...e-Edition.shtml

Edited by happyrck, 12 July 2006 - 04:53 PM.

neelyl

neelyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran Knoppix as instructed. It ran okay for about ten minutes. I browsed the web a bit, and then went to select something else from the program menu and everything froze except for the mouse. Repeated this at least three times with the same result including once when I got the same "out of range error" as before.

No hardware or software was installed or removed before this started.

BTW, when I try to run system file checker, it starts off okay, but then asks for my SP2 cd. The
problem is, I'm still running SP1.

Everest capture attached...

Everest.jpg

Thanks again!

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
It's not the hard drive...

Let's try running another memory test:
Download the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and copy it to a floppy diskette or burn it to a CD (run the program and it will have these options for you). Once that's done, restart your computer and boot from the diskette/CD. It will run the diagnostic tests. Let it run for 10-15 minutes to see if any errors are found. If not, just exit out the program.

I'm not sure what the normal temperatures should be for those hardware devices...so maybe someone with more knowledge on this will be able to lend a hand.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
All of the temperatures are well within the normal range...what voltages are shown are also within specification. The 12v leg isn't shown, though... :whistling:

I agree with greyknight17...test the memory.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
after testing your memory again ...you might want to try this...

Look in the Microsoft Windows Event Viewer for error messages . To do this, follow these steps:
1 Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2 Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
In the left pane, expand Event Viewer, and then click System to view the system log in the right pane for error messages

Edited by happyrck, 17 July 2006 - 10:36 AM.

Advertisements

neelyl

neelyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran the Windows Memory tool overnight for about 5 hours in extended testing mode.

Not a single error.

I've watched event log, but it rarely records a message there when my computer locks up.

Thank again!

Anything else to try?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I just went back over all the posts in this thread...noticed you dont have SP2 or any of the critical updates..the security guys must have forgot to tell you to get the updates...some are security related and some are stability fixs...might want to try that

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I'm going to go with the Windows Operating System at this stage. It may be the hard drive, but I suggest reinstalling Windows from scratch instead and see if you still get lockups after doing that. Make sure you backup your data before you reinstall Windows. If more details are needed, feel free to ask.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...i'm with greyknight17 on the reinstall

neelyl

neelyl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Do you mean a backup data, format hard drive, new Windows install rather than a repair install? If so, why?

Thanks to all for all their time in helping me get through this mess!