Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prolonged Motherboard Info Display Page

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Of course it's not.

But the display info page for my motherboard - ASUS Proactive AI P5GDI Pro (plus info down the bottom "Press DEL to run Setup. Press TAB to display BIOS Post Message" and the Pentium sign on the right) - is showing so much longer everytime when I start up/after rebooting my computer.

The last time I started the computer, I'm sure the motherboard info display page stayed there for a good 3 mintues if not longer. As if it's a prolonged advertisment for ASUS's motherboard.

Could someone please help? Is there some time switch in the registry for this and probably got accidentally changed? I think the change took place after I uninstalled IE7 Beta 2 to put on the new Beta 3 but I don't think that would have much to do with the motherboard info display page???

Cheers
Chinofeliz

Advertisements

ElDiablo6667

ElDiablo6667

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Sounds like your compurter have problems during POST, this can be Harddrive issues, try and disconnect your hard drives one at the time.... if it suddenly goes fast you know wich one it is..... Dont know so much about harddrives but my own experience is that your harddrive migth be failing.... atleast its a sign on that somethings not good, have had the same problems some times. When i had the problem it suddenly became ok again... for a while.... but then it happend again and it crashed completly.... so if u find out that your harddrive is the issue, I would recommend that you do a backup... just incase

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
OMG, that sounds completely catastrophic! I only bought my computer in Feburary and now this is happening :S

I take quite good care of my computer (cleaning and defraging frequently etc.) if it was the harddrive's fault could it be just bad luck?

El, I appreciate your opinion and I'll call my computer dealer tomorrow. Anyone else got some opinion on this?

Cheers
Chinofeliz

ElDiablo6667

ElDiablo6667

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hmmm, if its so new a harddrive crash sounds unlikely, do i dont know.........
Harddrive problems is the only experience I`ve had with very very slow POST....
Hopefully someone else knows better than me :whistling: :blink:

As i wrote earlier, its easy to test by removing the harddrive(s) If you have only one and remove you will still get past POST so your able to see if POST goes as fast as it should, when your done with the POST does windows use long time booting up??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have a powered USB Hub which halts the boot on the splash screen and removing the power lead and USB lead from the hub lets the PC continue booting, then you replace the lead and it mostly boots OK

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanx guys for all the replies and tips. To be honest I'm really not good at all with hardwares and my lines at the back of the computer are like spiderwebs so I'll leave that to my technician...

But I've already started backing up my files onto DVDs thanx El.

And Keith I haven't really had anything new plugged into my computer/computer's powerpoint (except for a heater last night but I pulled out its powercord when I shut down the computer and went to bed) but will have a look now to see what else is connected.

Really hope this problem is not serious :S

Thanx again guys any further opinions would be appreciated.

Chinofeliz

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The powered hub is easy to spot, it has one USB lead in to the PC going to a block where you put 4 or 7 USB leads for things like printers

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi Keith, yes no I don't have a USB Hub (bought one of them long time ago but never used it cos this new computer has plenty available in the front and around the back).

I really can't see anything power wise affecting the computer ... :S

Thanx for the reply :whistling:
Chinofeliz

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just my 2 cents worth. :whistling: Have you added more programs since February which may add more processes to be started at boot up? These can be turned off one by one to see if only one is the culprit. I'm not sure whether any SP2 updates over this period of time may affect boot up time, but its something to think about if machine came with SP1 installed only. Some SP2 updates from M$ do strange things depending on the particular machine. How it boots up shouldn't have changed unless BIOS changes were made unknowingly. Don't know if it would be worth looking at the boot log either. Keith would know more about this I think. Lastly, a severe malware problem. This can be checked using this forum's Malware section. That's all I can come up with and probably not much help.

Ron

ElDiablo6667

ElDiablo6667

• Pip
  • 8 posts

But the display info page for my motherboard - ASUS Proactive AI P5GDI Pro (plus info down the bottom "Press DEL to run Setup. Press TAB to display BIOS Post Message" and the Pentium sign on the right) - is showing so much longer everytime when I start up/after rebooting my computer.

Windows got nothing to do with POST and things that happends before windows starts loading!
POST problems are either hardware or BioS related, try and load defaults in BioS if you think u have been in there and maybe accedentaly changed something. Press tab to see the POST and see where it stops and uses looong time..... as long as it stops on any of the IDE devices, witch i think:P (harddrives, cd/dvd-roms etc) you should try to disconnect them to see if thats your problem

-JanO

Edited by ElDiablo6667, 30 June 2006 - 12:40 PM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi guys, thanx for the replies. My machine came with XP SP2 installed.
My questions:

1. How do I check the boot log?
2. Should I or should I not be bothered considering whether a malware or other software programs are causing this.

Thanx
Chinofeliz

PS - I don't think I've accidentaly bumped into BIOS but you never know might be one of the kids. I'll have a look soon.