Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sort-Of Hack Threat - Preventive Measures?

• Please log in to reply

cam

cam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
My classmate asked me if I had MSN Messenger and I said yes and gave him my email address. Then he asked me what the first three digits of my IP address is and what P2P program I use (LimeWire). He said he planned to do a little snooping around my computer - mess with my desktop and files. This is the first time I've talked to him and I assumed he was just being friendly. He promised not to do any major damage to my computer, that he just wanted to test out his abilities on a non-professional. His word means nothing to me and I would very much like to prevent him from doing whatever it is he plans to do. I asked him if he could go through a firewall and he said yes, with ease. I have ZoneAlarm Pro. He hinted that whatever he wanted to do would have to be done through a chat in MSN Messenger. Are there any ways to prevent this hacking?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there cam, the first thing is do NOT give him your IP. Sure he can still find out your IP, but let's not make things easier for him. Second I doubt he can get through the firewall (Especially Zone Alarm), if he does somehow get through the firewall, it will take him a bit of time. He said “test out his abilities on a non-professional”, well how does he classify non-professional, a professional is someone like ScHwErV, Keith, Kat, ect. Therefore if you where to ask one of the admin’s they will tell you, FIREWALL. And you have a firewall.

With the things he told you, Eg. (Get through your firewall with easily), it sounds more like he is going to use a backdoor to get through into your computer. If he attempts to use a backdoor a firewall will no longer be any use.

So what I can tell you, is DO NOT accept any files from him, if you already have. Let me know so that we can take it to the malware forum. For now, I would say that you have nothing to worry about, just keep your firewall active and accept no attachments.

If you want to know anything else, I will be gald to try and help answer it.

Cool :whistling:

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
OK well as for a 'Classmate' going through your firewall, I very much doubt it. Do NOT give him any digits of your I.P address as information can be found out about your PC this way. Make sure that your firewall is set up completely and properly, visit this page and click proceed and then click all service ports and check to see whether your ports are Open, Closed or in stealth mode. If any are open then this problem should be sorted. As for MSN when you chat to somebody through MSN they can't get your I.P address as you are not directly connected to their computer but are connected through an MSN network. The only time you are connected to them directly is if they send you a file (or you send them a file) that is biger than 1MB. So try to refrain from sending or recieving files ( If you wish to do this tell him to send it in E-Mail.) If you wish to send him a file then you should find another way of doing it (like hosting it on a website, there are some free ones out there like Rapidshare or Megaupload.

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Unfortunately, I've already given him the first three digits of my IP, but I thought that wouldn't be significant.

I have not and will not accept any files from him.

He said that it would only require him chatting with me via MSN Messenger for him to start doing whatever he wants to do. He didn't specifically mention sending/receiving files.

I ran the test and everything is in stealth.

Thanks for stopping me from completely freaking out, but I'd also like to know if there are any specific settings in ZoneAlarm Pro which I should check just to make sure everything is in place.

Currently, Internet Zone Security is on High and Trusted Zone Security is on Med. Should I change this to High?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey again cam, it is not big deal that you have given him your first 3 digits of your IP. You still have nothing to worry about.

ZoneAlarm is one of the best firewalls, yes the settings should all be set on high. If he attempt to connect to your machine a message should come up telling you that there is an attempt for a connection to your computer. Also switch off your "File Printer Sharing".

With your IP the "cracker" can tell alot about your PC. What OS you are running, what firewall and anti-virus you are running. But with these, it is still not the easy getting access to the system.

It would be an advantage to you, if he tries to connect to your PC, if he attempts to connect to your PC you will have access to his IP address, from there you can block it using this program (Below).

http://www.myzips.co...d-Blocker.phtml

This program (IP Ad Blocker), is used to block off any pop-ups from certain sites, but can also be used to block off you little friend trying to gain access to your computer.

To check up on people connected to your computer, goto:
> Start
> Run
> Type in "cmd"
> Type in "netstat -a"

Take a look at all the connections made to your computer, its kind of hard telling which one's are the bad one's. What you can do is look at the IP when logged on to certain sites, soon you will be able to tell which one is a website and which one is an actuall computer.

But keep in mind if you do not use the method I am showing you, eg. IP Blocker, Netstat, ect... your computer is still pritty safe. The only thing I would still recommend doing is not accpeting any files from him, even by e-mail.

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Also switch off your "File Printer Sharing".

How do I do that?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Ok, cam for now lets not make anything confusing. Do not download the IP blocker, you will be safe with out it. I cannot expain how to use it. If you really want an IP blocker, let me know. So I can look for a simpler for you.

To Switch off "File Printer Sharing" goto:

> Start
> Control Panel.
> Network Connections.
> Right-click on Local Area Connection
> Choose Properties

Under This connection uses the following items, highlight File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Note: If File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is not listed, then file sharing was not set up on your computer. You may close any open windows and skip the rest of these instructions.

> Click Uninstall.
> When you are asked if you are sure you want to uninstall File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, click Yes.
> Click OK or Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties window.

If you are asked to restart your computer, click Yes. If you are not asked to restart your computer, restart the computer manually.

cam

cam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks!