Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folders/utilities not opening properly

• Please log in to reply

Ryukk

Ryukk

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
:whistling:

Recently I messed up my computer and started getting Blue screen of death errors and then my folders and utilities started to act weird, they wouldn't respond to double clicking properly. Folders, such as 'my computer' or 'my documents' or any other folder would open as a windows search and when I right click them the option to open isn't availible. I'll show you what I mean in the images below

When I right click on a folder this menu comes up:
Posted Image

And when I double click a folder this is what opens:
Posted Image

As for utilties, as I call them, such as my computer and recycle bin, they are acting very strange also, I'll use images to explain this also.

When I right click recycle bin or control panel:
Posted Image

And I get this message when I click control panel from the start menu:
Posted Image

Even after I used the repair function on my windows xp disc this still is happening and it more of an annoance than anything else. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ryukk

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm and go to line 18 on the right hand side, download it and merge into registry.

Edited by CJIS, 30 June 2006 - 03:09 AM.

Ryukk

Ryukk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
That didn't seem to work for me, so I searched google for "Search Opens When Double Clicking A Folder" and found one that worked.

http://www.dougknox....folder_open.htm

Thanks though, because you helped me fix it irregardless of how I did it. :whistling: