Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS and Printer Software

• Please log in to reply

MelMei

MelMei

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Hope somebody can help me with this problem.

I have bought a new Dell Dimension 9150, Pentium D with Windows XP, at the same time, my brother gave me his HP Photosmart 7550 printer with the printer driver in a CD.

I tried installing the driver onto my PC but have an error msg (which I've forgotten what it was), I cancel halfway while installing.

Now whenever I switch on my PC, it indicate "New Hardware found HP 7550" but I cant seem to find the printer software on my PC nor sent any printing from my PC to the printer. I cant even find the icon for this new printer.

I've check the printer and its 100 percent working caused I'm able to print the test page using the printer itself.

Anybody can help me. Been trying for a few weeks to rectify this problem but to no avail.

Any kind souls. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft release an update which caused problems with HP software

http://news.zdnet.co...39263861,00.htm

Click start, control panel, add / remove, tick show updates then look for KB 908531 and remove it

Use add remove to uninstall the existing HP files, then click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, run disc clean up and reboot

Run disc defragmenter, then get the drivers from the HP site

http://h10025.www1.h...r...g=en&os=228

You can install the other software from the CD

MelMei

MelMei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Microsoft release an update which caused problems with HP software

http://news.zdnet.co...39263861,00.htm

Click start, control panel, add / remove, tick show updates then look for KB 908531 and remove it

Use add remove to uninstall the existing HP files, then click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm, run disc clean up and reboot

Run disc defragmenter, then get the drivers from the HP site

http://h10025.www1.h...r...g=en&os=228

You can install the other software from the CD

Thanks for your help but I cant find the windows update (KB908531). My lastest is KB893803.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No problem with that if it isn't there

Run the other things and hopefully it will install

If you use the drivers from the HP site they will be the latest available

MelMei

MelMei

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

No problem with that if it isn't there

Run the other things and hopefully it will install

If you use the drivers from the HP site they will be the latest available

Thanks for your help, I've done all that you have advised me.

But now I got an error message that said I have connected my computer to the printer's front USB port but my printer's USb cable is connected to the rear. I even tried both (front and rear), but it still says that I've connected to the front.

Now I remembered what happened the last time. I did in fact connect the cable to the front when all slot of my rear USB ports are used up. When the error msg said that I must connect to the rear, I've readjusted my USB cables and connect the printer USB cable instead of the front to the rear. I tried to install the software but nothing happends.

Anything can be done?

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, printers and faxs, right click the printer, click properties, ports, see if you can change the port and click apply, you will probably need to reboot