Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MS Office products open SLOWLY from Explorer

• Please log in to reply

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Frequently (but not always) after a system (XP Pro SP2) restart I find that when I try to open a MS Office 2002 SP3 product (Word, Excel) from Windows Explorer (or My Computer), it can take MINUTES to open. If I get impatient and try a second time, I get a message that Explorer is not responding. When I close Explorer, there is no message about reporting the problem to Microsoft and all the desktop items disappear briefly.

If I open the application first, then do a File/Open from inside the application, everything is fine.

Other file types (PDF, ZIP) open just fine from Explorer.

The problem seems to go away by itself after a DAY or so.

Macafee Anti-virus and CA Pest Patrol (provided by Comcast) come up empty.

I found some articles about issues when opening through IE, or two copies opening or Excel opening, but not the workbook, but none seem to fit this problem.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

johnbfdma

johnbfdma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Update. I notice similar symptoms when I click on an http link in an Outlook e-mail - It takes a long time for the IE to open and longer still to load the page. Since the two symptoms seems to occur at the same time, I assume they are related.

Links imbedded in pages in IE load quickly.