Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help W/ New Motherboard & Cpu

• Please log in to reply

GeekMan

GeekMan

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Can someone help me find A good deal on a motherboard and cpu? I am willing to spend $400 USD total. I need an AMD processor that is above a 3500+ , and a motherboard that is a SLI. Try not to find an ESC, I hate the company.

Thanks for helping!

Advertisements

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I would go for ASUS A8n sli board

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Can you be more specific? You said you need an AMD processor; socket 939 or AM2? You may want to wait until July 24th to get a good deal on AMD's X2 line. However If you're buying an all new computer I would wait into Intel's Core 2 Duo line being releases July 23rd.

GeekMan

GeekMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
939 How much of a deal is AMD having on the X2?

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
here's a price chart:

Posted Image

The single core processors seem to already have dropped in price despite the 7/24 date. zipzoomfly.com has the single core 3800+ for a $139 which I see as an AWESOME price. As for dual core the the 4200+ is like the dual core version of the 3500+ and the 4600+ is the dual core version of the 3800+ they're both at pretty good prices after the drop later this month.

I sat here for ten minutes thinking of which mobos I should recommend... lol. It's hard because I don't really have much experience with so many of them... it may be best to go out and look for reviews and see what would fit your system the best. With that said here are a few solid motherboards:

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=246440

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=247010

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=246485

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=246509

OK calling that last DFI "solid" is an understatement. It is one of, if not THE best socket 939 motherboard out there (which comes at comes at a premium.)

I've actually had great experience with Biostar so that one should be fine. With processor it's up to you, the 3800+ single core is definately a good "Bang : $$$" processor and you'll have plenty of that left over for something else. But that's still single core so the 4600+ is the better choice in the long run. However I see AMD are STILL charging (in some cases over) twice as much for the dual core version of processors... when will they learn? :whistling:

Edited by MNOB07, 30 June 2006 - 09:11 PM.

GeekMan

GeekMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Thank you very much for the info!

GeekMan

GeekMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
How does this sound?:

An AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
GeForce 6500 GT with 512MB DDR
Kingston 2 GB DDR 400

For 450$

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dual core CPUs cost alot more to make thats why they are priced higher, its also partially down to suppliers AMD price what they can sell them for and what they can make a profit on.

I wouldnt go for an Asus board at all cant more strongly reccomend against that board. If i was buying new i wouldnt get 939 i would get am2 price differnce is about 20 quid, but i would also probably go intel with the core 2 duo i like AMD but the conroe is just to good.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Where exactly are you getting those parts? The prices don't seem to match up... If you're building an all new system, you will be much better off to get an Intel setup with a Core 2 Duo ("Conroe") E6300 and compatible motherboard (there are a few already being shipped but I would wait for all the reviews coming up)

Look into something like an X1800XT, X1900XT, 7900GT, or 7600GT depending on your budget for the video card, and some decent ddr2 RAM... like this looks good:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145015

Just wondering warriorscot, why are you so against Asus?

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

I would wait into Intel's Core 2 Duo line being releases July 23rd.

Do you know if this is a worlwide release or only in the US?

Advertisements

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
hmm good question. I've heard July 23rd almost exclusively with July 27th at the latest. I'd assume they would be available internationally then because I can't find any other date that says otherwise...

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
great news thanks alot, finally the wait is almost over..
only 6 more months till dx10...

Edited by kebabboy, 02 July 2006 - 02:52 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Less than 6 months, Nvidias first will be out before that but im waiting for the R600s from ati at christmas.

kebabboy

kebabboy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Less than 6 months, Nvidias first will be out before that but im waiting for the R600s from ati at christmas.

Why is that? Is it a personal preference or are ati's just that better?

Can anybody recommend a good review that would explain in depth the aspects of the new hardware which is going to be released soon?

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
My question is will the Intel motherboards's for Conroe be better than the current AM2 motherboards?