Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sending a large file through internet

• Please log in to reply

okeee

okeee

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I would like to send large file, maybe 2gb, from 1 pc to another pc through the internet. What is the best way to do that? The quality of the file is most important, not the speed of sending file.
I don't mind installing software, as long as the file has no errors when it is send through internet.

Edited by okeee, 30 June 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Check into PC World's article which lists many methods:

PC World's "Sending Large Files"

I haven't tried these, but they are options and free:

SendOver.com
SendThisFile.com

If you have your own web site hosted, you could upload it to a folder and send the link to those who need to download it. There are also a lot of file hosting services available which provide security for uploads/downloads (some listed in PC World's article).

Ron

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Do you know how good these are? Maybe some errors when sending the file?

SendOver.com
SendThisFile.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Sorry, no. I have not personally used either of these as my file sizes have never been that large. :whistling: You could try one one or both to see how the file gets through. Of course, I expect you have backups for whatever you plan to send via the Internet. If it is really important to you for quality, I would get a business type site after reading their TOS. Maybe a trial period with one of those.

Ron

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
what is safer to use, I don't want anyone else to be able to read or download the file except the pc I would like to send it to, an FTP program ,

or using these sites:

SendOver.com
SendThisFile.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Sorry, but nothing is very safe these days sending it over the Internet unless it is encrypted. Even then, that is not a guarantee that it could not be opened and read or data packets lost/corrupted. Even the operation of encrypting or decrypting could corrupt your file.

A lot of people think email is private, but it is not protected after a certain period of time since it is stored on servers. You would be best served reading the Communications Act of 1934 as Amended by the Telecom Act of 1996. It is in PDF form and about 333 pages long, but Adobe Reader will do a search (Ctrl+f after pages load) for you.

Other:
Stored Wire and Electronic Communications and Transactional Records Access
Electronics Communications Privacy Act

I'm not trying to provide any legal advise here, but to show you that the Internet is not private and cannot be relied on to safely send/receive files whether they be intercepted by others or have corrupted data packets. You will have to make up your own mind whether to proceed and how.

Ron

okeee

okeee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I see, but I prefer not to encrypt the file, it could cause errors. But when choosing a method, which is safer,
a ftp-program or using the sites:SendOver.com
SendThisFile.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have no idea which would be safer, but I know if I had a backup copy that I knew is and would always be good, I wouldn't worry about it. It's all going to take some time to send depending on many factors such as your Internet connection speed, time of day, data packet routing and a myriad other things.

If you use something like SendOver.com, you need to read their Privacy Policy and TOS before using as you should do on all services. I know, most of us don't always do this which is why entities like Yahoo! bury stuff in their EULAs giving you where to go to opt out of their little Web bot "service" which is active by default.

I am not recommending either of the services I mentioned as I have never used either one. With a file that size, you are either going to have to use a similar service or a paid for service which probably will not guarantee data is uncorrupted for uploads/downloads. There may be verification programs out there that would check, but I'm not familiar with any for use in this manner.

Once your file has left, whether it's via FTP or a service like SendOver.com, it is at the mercy of the Internet. Either way, it is going to be a long process. SendOver.com has the advantage that an email is sent to receipient to go download file. Plus, it can be password protected.

Ron

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could try compression with an encryption option, many people for large file transfers split files into .rar parts for transfer coupled with a .sfv check file and par2 files(pars can be used to reconstruct damaged data or even incomplete files) you can effectively send the files with a moderate level of security but someone with the time and knowledge could bypass that easily enough. More advanced encryption shouldnt cause any errors but might add to file size and decryption would have to be available at the other end.

For sending large files there is other methods but we arent allowed to assist with them.