Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audigy 2 Sound Driver

• Please log in to reply

Mario 64 Master

Mario 64 Master

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Last night I was attemping to run a new game (Oblivion) and I was getting frequent crashes, so I decided I might as well update my old sound card drivers (dxdiag indicated to me that they were from 2003) to see if it would help the problem. I went to Creative's website and downloaded the following:

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy, Audigy 2 series and Audigy 4 series Driver 02.08.0004 -- 24 Jan 06
Filename: SBAX_WEBUP_LB_2_08_0004.exe

When I ran this installer, it first told me that it had to uninstall the old drivers before it could proceed. After uninstalling those, it said it would restart the computer and finish the installation. Well, the computer restarted and the installation did not continue. I'm stuck with a computer that has no sound drivers installed at all right now.

If I try to run the installer again, it tells me that it's still finding an old driver that must first be uninstalled (although I don't think there really is one there because I watched it get rid of it the first time :whistling:). When I click OK to allow it to try to uninstall again, all it says is "Fail.". It then tries to restart the computer again without completing the installation after the reboot.

I have been trying a lot of different things to get my sound back, including using Windows Restore to move back a day (this didn't put the driver back like I would have hoped). I also did somehow manage to get sound back for a short while with an even older driver from 2002... I'm not even sure of what I tried that triggered it, but the sound quality sounded noticeably lower so I tried running the 2006 installer again (and thus uninstalled that one and have no sound again).

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I'm not sure exactly what information about my computer would be helpful, so if I need to list anything just let me know.

Edited by Mario 64 Master, 30 June 2006 - 11:07 AM.

Advertisements

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Go into controll panel, add remove programs and remove creative from there, if that don't work goto system, device manager and remove devices from there

Mario 64 Master

Mario 64 Master

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Are you saying the best solution is to completely get rid of any sign of creative programs on my computer and then try to re-run the installer?

I already tried removing certain aspects of creative software that I think pertain specifically to the sound card in both of those locations, but the installer didn't work afterwards. I haven't tried getting rid of all of it, though.

There is still a creative icon in my start -> programs menu that leads to a bunch of stuff for both "Creative MediaSource" and "Sound Blaster Audigy 2", but when I try to run anything in the "Sound Blaster Audigy 2" menu they indicate that they can't detect any Sound Blaster cards on my computer.

Edit: It took me all day, but I think I finally managed to update correctly. Not really sure exactly what did it. I downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro and ran that a few times, reinstalled some other creative software, kept uninstalling and reinstalling the hardware, etc. Eventually, one of the random times I tried to run the installer it actually went through without saying it had to uninstall something first. :whistling:

Edited by Mario 64 Master, 30 June 2006 - 09:34 PM.