Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing Memory ?

• Please log in to reply

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks everyone, just one thing I wanted to ask.

Is changing the memory as simple as powering down the PC, removing the old cards, installing the new ones, and powering up again? Or is there something else I will need to do? :whistling:

Many thanks

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
For the most part yes, but sometimes no. You indicated you pushed memory voltages to 2.8 and changed a few other settings so upon making a memory swap, I'd suggest you head back into your BIOS and start out with auto settings re: memory. Your motherboard will read the manufacturer's code embedded in the modules and set the correct safe timings accordingly. You can also set manually (as you already know) and the best guide for manual settings and detailed explanations that I am aware of can be found at Adrian's RojakPot. Having said that, I've had the not so fun experience of struggling for 2-3 days, several hours a day to get memory set right in a couple of instances but those involved rather special OC'ed environments.

:whistling:

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Good point, I will reset BIOS Adavanced Chipset Settings to Auto.

Hot day here in England today :-)

Thanks

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Just had a reply back from Crutial who are going to replace my Memory Cards (like for Like) under the life time warrenty arrangements. After taking them out to make a note of the PN No. (as requested by crutial), I thought I'd put them back in the slots alternated (another words the one that was in slot one is now in slot 2 etc). However giving it a quick burst of Memtest86, errors were reported immediately. I also ran Memtest for a little bit with all the settings /timing etc back to default. Still errors.

Had a blue screen crash since rebooting the computer, although we think we know the cause, I made a note of the screen message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
**STOP: 0x00000050 (0xDD0514C9, 0x00000008, 0xDD0514C9, 0x000000000)
* Starting physical dump of memory... etc.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Yep that's a common bsod when your RAM is bad. Good thing your getting them replaced.

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Sending Memory back in the post tomorrow, hopefully have the replacements back before the weekend. :-)

Latest blue screen crash: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Now windows tells <grin>

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hopefully this should be the end of this thread :whistling:

Firstly, before I removed the old cards last Sunday I went into the BIOS/CMOS and returned all settings to default, after which the computer would not even boot up in Safe Mode. So I just switched it off and removed them for sending back to Crutial.
Replacement Crutial 'Ballistix' memory cards arrived Saturday morning. The data sheet for these memory cards states 2.8v, so I left the DDR Voltage to 2.8v. All other timing settings back to Default. Changed boot order to boot off CD and ran Memtest86 for about 4 full passes. NO ERRORS reported :-) Yippee.
Ran Scandisk, deleted and corrected a number of currupted files.
Ran Clean Disc and Defrag (which it said it needed).
Booted up Windows XP Pro and left it running as we've been away this weekend. So far no crashes/faulting modules or any other problems.

Hopefully this will be the end of my problems for the time being, however, I do wonder what was the cause of the memory cards failing as it seemed to a 'creeping' problem that gradually got worse. Have Crutial had a 'batch' problem with these memory cards, or is my computer doing something to 'break' them over a peroid of time. I wouldn't expect Crutial to answer the first part for commercial reasons, however they have replied.

Thanyou to Crutial for replacing them FOC, especially since I have had the memory for 18 months.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Crucial, like all other reputable memory companies offer liftime warrantees on their products. You paid for this when you bought their product, so they owe it to you. Besides, you had to pay for the mailing costs to send it back to them.

Sometimes RAM just goes bad all by itself. I've had this happen a couple of times recently. However, raising the operating voltage increases the likelyhood that this will happen. The vast majority of DDR memory modules are rated to use 2.5V or 2.6V. Please re-read the spec sheet for your Crucial RAM -- It's hard to believe that it's supposed to be run normally at 2.8V. Are you sure that this is not the maximum voltage that is allowed to be applied to it ? If this really is the maximum rated voltage you should test it for stability running at lower votages.

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
http://www.crucial.c...=BL2KIT6464Z402

* Part Number: BL2KIT6464Z402
* Module Size: 1GB kit (512MBx2)
* Package: Ballistix 184-pin DIMM
* Feature: DDR PC3200
* Configuration: 64Meg x 64
* DIMM Type: UNBUFFERED
* Error Checking: NON-ECC
* Speed: DDR400
* Voltage: 2.8V
* Memory Timings: 2-2-2-6
* Specs: DDR PC3200 • 2-2-2-6 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.8V • 64Meg x 64

When doing a compatibility check with my Abit AN8 MoBo this is the one it pulls from the Ballistix series.

Please any views about this 2.8v setting would be appreciated. Bare in mind the original ones that went wrong were always set at 2.6v.

Thanks

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Yup, you're right ! Your motherboard should have programmed the proper voltage automatically.

I can't help thinking that the life expectancy of this product will be lower just because of its operating voltage. I suppose time will tell.

Advertisements

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Glad to learn that you are running good again.

Southend

Southend

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I asked 'Crutial' about the voltage and their reply was :

<snip>
as far as the voltage goes the Ballistix modules are rated at a
voltage of between 2.6 - 2.8 so as long as you are between these then it will
function fine.
<snip>

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with this on 'Geeks to go'.

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It's good to hear back on your memory and I'm glad it's working well now :whistling: