Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question with power supplies

• Please log in to reply

Susa

Susa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey, i just have a question about wattage in power supplies

tihs is what im running currently:
450w MGE PSU
DFI Lan-party 875p-t mobo
P4 3.0ghz LGA 775
Maxtor 200gb HDD
768MB Kingston PC3200 RAM
ATI Radeon X800GT 256MB

now this is where my "problem"/"question" starts i had an ati radeon 9800pro in my comp before the x800gt and everything was cool then i decided to upgrade vid card once i upgraded i started having sound problems almost immediately the reson for my upgrade in ivd card was for elder scrolls Oblivion and once i started playing it about 15 min into the game my sound would just cut out and occasionally it would come back in a loud burst of sound of all the things that happened while it was out so i figured it was just the way i installed oblivion not the case reinstalled still the same problem then it started happening to all my games Max payne, WoW, Prey any game it would just cut out, but if i was just using the internet or just basic computer controls it was fine only games would make it shut off, now here recently my computer is actually just freezing completely like ill be playing a game and i can actually hear my HDD "shut-off" and then my computer will just lock up and ill have to reboot... now there are 2 reasons for this long post 1.) if anyone has any ideas WHY it's doing this and 2.) i was told that it sounds like a power supply problem so i decided i was gonna get a bigger PSU so heres my PSU question if i get a new PSU i was gonna get a 500w but is 50 watts really enough wattage to really make a differance, sorry for the long post i just wanted to make sure i got in detail.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here is one of the best reads i've found on power supplys.

http://jonnyguru.blogspot.com/

I would download Speedfan and check your 5 and 12 volts lines to see if they are runing on the low side. Less than 4.5 volts and less than 12.6 volts means trouble as your hardware is not getting the power it needs.

Just because a PS says its 500watts does not mean it is steady state 500 watts. Many do not even reach their rated wattage as you will read at the johnnyguru website. A good PS is essental for playing games so don't scrimp there.

SRX660

Susa

Susa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well i read almost all of that PSU 101 thing learned alot about how a PSU works i didnt quite get my question fully answeed btu i did get the speed fan and this is what i got maybe someone can tell me if its time to update the PSU

Posted Image

btw dont mmind that 128C thing its always been like that i dont think my system would be alive if anything it was that temp x.x

that is just a pic of my computer idle with nothing open when i open a game in this case it was WoW each voltage down at the bottom dropped by about .3V-.5V

Edited by Susa, 30 June 2006 - 09:41 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If thats the voltage at idle and it gets lower you really need a better power supply. I have a athlon 2400 puter that would just lockup at any time. It would even lockup while i was in the bios. Replacing the elcheapo 450 watt PS with a thermotake 430 watt PS cured the problems. The 12 volt line was at 11.78 volts at idle with the old PS and the thermotake stayed at 12.34. It made all the difference in the world.

SRX660

Susa

Susa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
wow thanks alot, os its not neccisarily the wattage i need to get updated its just a better PSU brand in general with better voltage ill have to take a look at a few :whistling: thanks again

Susa

Susa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
well with the new ps things look much better :whistling: thanks again guys

Posted Image

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Temp 3 could be your video card and that could be causing some problems

feel the back of your graphics card and see if its hot you could damgae it if thats the real temp

Susa

Susa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
nah theres no way its my vid card i think that its just a busted sensor or somethng i mean i have an external fan controller and temp gauge andf th hottest ive seen my vid card go is 92c after a 3 day lan so theres no way its my vid i honestly have no idea what it is...

i mean 128C is pretty [bleep] hot i dont think my vid card would even function at that temp

Edited by Susa, 12 July 2006 - 02:41 PM.

VirusAccumulator

VirusAccumulator

• Pip
  • 9 posts

wow thanks alot, os its not neccisarily the wattage i need to get updated its just a better PSU brand in general with better voltage ill have to take a look at a few :whistling: thanks again

its the amps that counts, you cant have a 1000w PSU and have 12 amps on the B+ = bad bad bad..

Look up fortron or antec PSU's this is where the saying comes into play " you get what you pay for"
The Ave. line of fortrons run 55.00 USD and up recommend 500watt dual rail 12v+ with 20 amps or more on the B+ rail..

here some links for you...

http://www.newegg.co...;SubCategory=58

http://www.newegg.co...;SubCategory=58

trust me what you invest here ,you will not be disappointed....

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
don't worry about that temperature, usually when it shows something that high it a sensor that isn't there. Any chip would have been fried at 90 C.
Great to hear that all's running well to!
James