Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply

John Cutler

John Cutler

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi,

My kids are trying to play Battelfield 2 and Sim 2 with no luck - I have a Radeon X800GT Card.

I have been told to get an NVidia would be better - I do not want to spend a lot of money can anyone recommend a card - I was looking at XFX GeForce 7600GS Xtreme XXX Edition 256meg Dual DVI PCI-E(500Mhz) - but will that do the job? The 7900 seem to be fairly exepnsive still (my opinion).

To settle an argument with my father in law - I currently have 512 meg of RAM and was looking as doubling it. He reckons I don't need to. I always figure the more RAM the better!!!!

Will the type of motherboard I have affect the game playing - assuming I can get the right card? I have a HP Motherboard.

Sorry about all the questions, but they have been building up over time.

John

Advertisements

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hey

Im using a 6 series n-vidia card 6200,,the price of this compared to the 7 series is very CHEAP,if u get a 6200 or higher ull have no prob playing bf2,but i would suggest u get a extra gig of ram and the upload time will be fast.

*edit,im getting a extra gig of ram soon,but bf2 is still playable with 512 ram,but more ram will speed up ure loading time

Edited by ChRiS1888, 30 June 2006 - 07:11 PM.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Also,what are ure sytem specs?

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Where do I get those from?

Intel P4 2.99GHZ

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Im using a 6 series n-vidia card 6200,,the price of this compared to the 7 series is very CHEAP,if u get a 6200 or higher ull have no prob playing bf2,but i would suggest u get a extra gig of ram and the upload time will be fast.

Actually, BF2 won't even let you attempt to run it on highest graphic setttings unless you have at least a 6800. If you don't care about graphics, I wouldn't worry too much.

Most newer games recommend at least 1GB of RAM (some even require it), so I would say go for the extra stick.

Do you know if you have an PCI, AGP, or PCI-E graphics card currently?

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
PCI Express

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Actually, BF2 won't even let you attempt to run it on highest graphic setttings unless you have at least a 6800. If you don't care about graphics, I wouldn't worry too much.

Most newer games recommend at least 1GB of RAM (some even require it), so I would say go for the extra stick.

Do you know if you have an PCI, AGP, or PCI-E graphics card currently?

Just as well i didnt say anyrhing about tryin to run it in the highest graphic settin :whistling:

Edited by ChRiS1888, 01 July 2006 - 08:00 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 6200 would be a step down, there nothing to be gained from going Nvidia unless you spend more on an upgrade but brand is a moot point the card you have is pretty decent. If you cant play a game its NOT because of the gfx card brand and unlikely anything to do with the card.

What kind of problem is it, will the games install, do they freeze on install, do they start do they play, whats it like if they do, what exactly is the problem and exact symptoms.

It would seem unlikely a new card would fix anything at all unless the one you have now is damaged in some way but that is also unlikely as it would be noticable when not gaming as well.

Update your gfx drivers, www.ATI.com is where you can get them.

Another 512Mb of memory would make a big difference, especially in those games.

Edited by warriorscot, 01 July 2006 - 01:08 PM.

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
The game installs okay, but when you go and play, the BG2 logo comes up and then as the game starts I get a blank screen.

I here the EA Games Challenge Everything and then the game music but nothing else.

I only have a problem with EA games, so that would suggest my Graphics card is working, the kids play RCT3, Star Wars Battelfront 2 and others.

Look forward to yuor response

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
my system specs

Attached Files

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you made sure that the games are patched up to date, ive got a sinking feeling this might be a problem with the EA DRM.

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
As far as I know I have downloaded the latest patch for BF2 last night and still no luck.

Does it have anything to do with my motherboard?

If I go out and buy a better card will that fix the problem? I don't mind doing it, but want to be sure that will fix the problem beofre I do it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I really dont think it will fix the problem, if other games are working fine then its unlikely. It sounds more of a software based problem than anything wrong with your hardware.

Have you tried reinstalling both games completely and nay traces of EA software then reinstalling again, its strange that its just EA games as i said above the only common factor between those two games is that they are EA and will have the same copyprotection and some DRM methods can cause problems. Also akward for us to fix, did you also update the gfx card drivers.

Can you also find and install the .net framework 1.1 from MS as well/

John Cutler

John Cutler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Problem solved, thanks for your help.

I totally dleted the graphics card and added another 256MB of RAM and then reinstalled the drivers and Battlefield is working fine now.

Sims 2 is a bit dodgy though

Thanks for all those who helped.

John