Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system restore for windows xp

• Please log in to reply

indianoutlaw

indianoutlaw

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[color=#3366FF][b][i]I have an HP Pavillion 510w which is a couple of years old. Anyway, the system crashed(Windows XP) last winter. I was able to purchase a set of 7 system restore discs which I was able to re-load and get the dinasoar running (happy,happy, joy,joy) but it has crashed 3or 4 times since the winter, but I have been able to ressurect the Beast until...............NOW.
I run the same discs thru the "Way" they instructed me to yet after 45 or so minutes, i get the message "Unable to find partition" which isn't what happend when I was successfully able to upload windows XP.
I took care of the discs and have only used them on the pc I described. I don't have the money to buy a new pc and the system restore discs were 35 dollars which was alot to me. Is there something i did wrong???? The only instructions I had were to go to "system priority" and move cd drive to the top of the list during "set-up" (which i did) and then move it back to it's default position (3rd on the list) which I also did. HP which sold me the discs were NO help as it took 45 minutes on the phone and speaking to someone in India and them telling me they would help for a rather large fee.
One other thing I noticed which was different when i was successful at restoreing windows XP (for what it's worth) is that when the system restore discs were running, the cd drive would pop open prompting me to put in the next disc and then i would press"OK" and the cd disc would close after clicking ok.......it didn't do that(close after clicking next disc in place) when the whole process failed.
Maybe it IS time to buy a new pc but it is not in the budget for a long time so if you all my have some advice that would help...............i sure cold use it.
thanks,
Hawk

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First guess...dirty disk?

clean the disks with soapy warm water and pat dry. Clean the CD-ROM with a commercial disk cleaner.

You could also start the computer with a win98 boot floppy

www.bootdisk.com

run fdisk, wipe out any existing partition.

Failing that, try to debug the harddrive following the instructions here:

http://www.fdisk.com...k/HardDrive.htm