Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for additional Rambus dram memory

• Please log in to reply

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am looking to add additional memory to my 256 mb Rambus dram 184 pin but I heard that it is no longer manufactured. My V2 premier system was purchased circa 2001 and i have switched from windows millenium to xp pro. Is dram available anywhere?

Edited by ovaforty, 30 June 2006 - 07:51 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

You didn't say which country you live in but if you're in the UK, then Eclipse computers sell 128MB & 256MB Rimms (I'm assuming you mean 184pin, not 182 pin)

You also need to know which type of rimms you have i.e PC600, PC800 etc

Another option for buying rimms is Ebay

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
oops, it should have been 184 pin rdram 2.5v unbuffered, whatever that means....
I am located in texas, usa

Edited by ovaforty, 30 June 2006 - 07:59 PM.

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Welcome to G2G

You didn't say which country you live in but if you're in the UK, then Eclipse computers sell 128MB & 256MB Rimms (I'm assuming you mean 184pin, not 182 pin)

You also need to know which type of rimms you have i.e PC600, PC800 etc

Another option for buying rimms is Ebay

my pc has 2 128 mb memory modules, and 2 dummy modules. (4 slots total)
Could you explain what pc 600, pc 800 is? and how do i find that out?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
PC600, PC800 refers to the clock speed of the memory. i.e PC800 is 800Mhz (2 x 400MHz to be accurate).

To find out which type you have currently installed, try Everest :
http://www.majorgeek...tion_d4181.html

Run Everest & in the menu on the left side, select Motherboard->SPD. This should give you all the info you need about your memory specs.
If this doesn't work because your system doesnt support SPD, then try selecting Motherboard->motherboard option instead. From there you can make a note of the Front side bus & memory bus clock speeds.

Let me know what you find out

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your help and patience. I am computer illiterate. The manual states that the P4ITA mainboard uses a PGA Socket 423 that accomodates p4 cpu's, frontside bus of 400 MHz, and 3.2 GB's data bus bandwith.
I will try to run everest and get back to you.

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Posted Image

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
There's your answer then. Everest reports PC800 as the memory type plus the manual states that the FSB is 400Mhz which is correct for PC800.

To be on the safe side, try to buy rimms that match the ones you already have as closely as possible. i.e PC800 obviously, but also check what the CAS (CL) & RAS latencies are, the manufacturer of the rimms etc
Everest should give you this info in the SPD section

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

There's your answer then. Everest reports PC800 as the memory type plus the manual states that the FSB is 400Mhz which is correct for PC800.

To be on the safe side, try to buy rimms that match the ones you already have as closely as possible. i.e PC800 obviously, but also check what the CAS (CL) & RAS latencies are, the manufacturer of the rimms etc
Everest should give you this info in the SPD section

wow. you lost me on the last part. I will look for for that info

ovaforty

ovaforty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I am looking to add additional memory to my 256 mb Rambus dram 184 pin but I heard that it is no longer manufactured. My V2 premier system was purchased circa 2001 and i have switched from windows millenium to xp pro. Is dram available anywhere?

It looks like they have them in stock here.
http://www.memorysto...dram-rambus.htm

Is anyone familiar with them?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Apologies for the delay in replying.
I haven't heard of that company before but they look OK. Another one you could try as a comparison, is Crucial's memory advisor :
www.crucial.com