Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox timing and problem after a clean up

• Please log in to reply

RosePetals

RosePetals

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am having problems with firefox timing out. Is there some setting or something I can do to avoid this? I sooooo love my firefox browser it is so much faster than IE. I hope someone can help me with this. I would hate to have to go back to IE YUK.

Also for some reason after I do a clean up on my computer (which is about once a week) I can't get the web page to open the first few times.
I sure would appreciate any help on this.
RosePetals

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
there isn't really anything that you can do about timing out issues, they will happen occasionally like it will in Internet Explorer, its something that we have to live with. However if you wish you could try a reinstall at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ (be sure you have version 1.5) to get the lastest version. Also be sure that you updated at all times. However lately they have only been security updates. From my knowledge there is no setting to avoid this, and i know there isn't anything to stop it.

Also regarding cleaning your temp files, be sure that your browser isn't open when your doing it, cases some problems such as changing some settings that might be saved in lets say a forum. And for the loading part of it, it needs to restore the cookies that have been removed. So if you would like this problem you would have to stop clearing your internet cache.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 30 June 2006 - 10:33 PM.

RosePetals

RosePetals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, my version of firefox is 1.0.7 so do I need to uninstall my version of firefox before I download the newest version or can I just go ahead and download the new version? I am also on a phone line :whistling: that is all I can get where I live unless I want to spend big bucks for a satilite.
Thanks for your help.
RosePetals

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello again RosePetals,
yes i highly recommend that you update your firefox version. The latest is 1.5.4 i believe. With this update it may fix your timing out issues and will enable new security feature to prevent a computer becoming infected.
To do so please download the file from the site provided above ( http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ ) and then open the file, and follow the directions. I know it may seem like your browser it updated to the latest version, however you are unable to go from 1.0.7 to 1.5.4 by going help->check for updates.
If you need any help what so ever please feel free to post back with questions or conserns, I'd be glade to help.
thanx
James :whistling:

Edited by james_8970, 01 July 2006 - 03:16 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
n/a double post

Edited by james_8970, 01 July 2006 - 01:58 PM.