Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to delete a second partition

• Please log in to reply

Coppersky

Coppersky

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm looking at a friend's computer and apparently, he has two partitions, and only one works. The second partition is useless, and was created on accident when trying to install Windows XP on this computer. I've pressed F8 to get to the advanced options when given to option to choose between both partitions and well, I don't continue cause I don't want to mess anything up. Any comments or advice to remedy this would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot! :whistling:

Advertisements

whity26

whity26

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
put the xp cd in an dboot from it, and delete it from there, just make sure you delete the right one

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
whity is right -- but then you'll be left with wasted and unusable space where the second partition used to be (though xp will of course run quite happily despite this). I would follow up whity's advice by creating a new partition in the same space you just deleted and formatting it so it can be used for storing your documents or other stuff as backups. You can create new partition and format it as soon as you've deleted the old one, using the same interface on screen after booting from the XP CD as whity advised.

Edited by pip22, 01 July 2006 - 04:45 AM.