Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error with Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion

• Please log in to reply

cdav1984

cdav1984

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought Oblivion after it being recommended by a friend...
But once I installed it I couldn't open it... I click 'play' and a tiny window in the top corner of the screen opens called Oblivion and then a "this program encountered an error and had to close, sorry for the inconvenience' window opens...

I have a stock standard Acer Travelmate 4060 with the RAM upgraded to 512meg...

Is it because I havent got an upgraded graphics or video card or whatever??

I thought it would work!!!

Any help at all would be appreciated :whistling:

**I have attached the direct x diagnostics that the support section of the game spewed out at me - dunno if they'll help or not**

TA

cdav1984

:blink:

Attached Files

Advertisements

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I think it is the lack of video card that is hurting you. That game is pretty demanding and from looking at your laptops specs all you have is an intergrated video card which just is not enough for the game.

Note: Attched is specs for computer from Acer's website.

Attached Files

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
If the laptop does not have a seperate video card, Oblivion will (99.9% sure) not run on your laptop, sorry to say. The game won't run on integrated graphics.

cdav1984

cdav1984

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there a way to upgrade that on my laptop??

Short of buying a new one I mean...

:whistling:

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
there is no way for oblivion to run on an integrated graphics. if you plan on gaming, you'll need a seperate graphics card. and for oblivion, you'll need a nice one. you'll also need to upgrade to 1248 (1 gig) of ram-oblivion saysthat it will run on with 512 of ram, but the keyword is run. the only thing that it will run is the start-up menu, if that. i had problems just like what you were expireinced before i majorly upraged my ram and video card, now i have no problems. so, sorry, but you're gonna hafta buy a new video card-and one to run oblivion well will be pricey (200-300 dollars would buy you a nice, sturdy card. $700 will buy you a top o' the line one.)