Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor problems

• Please log in to reply

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can start up my computer perfectly fine at times but lately after 5 minutes of being started up my computer screen will turn green and pinkish purple in blocks all over it. I know its not exactly my monitor because I am using it right now while it is hooked up to my laptop. I am using an ATI Radeon 9550 and I thought it could of been my memory since my graphics card is basically brand new, bought less than 6 months ago. So I tried taking a piece of memory out one at a time and restarting my computer. It worked the second time for about 45 minutes, than stopped once again with everything going green and pink.. can anyone help me out with this problem?

Advertisements

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Have you tried hooking a different moniter to your PC to see if it has the same effect?

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I honestly don't know what good that will do. I tested that monitor out on my laptop and its working perfectly fine right now since I'm still using it. Sorry if that sounds like I don't believe it will, I just don't have another monitor around to do it with and it just seems fruitless trying it.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Have you tried updating your video card drivers by going to the card manufacturer's website? If that doesn't help you, I suggest posting your HijackThis Logfile in our malware section, and our professionals will see if this is virus/malware related.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Can you replicate the problem without your Radeon card in the slot? In other words, by running your computer using the motherboard's integrated graphics chip?

This way you'll know where or where not to focus your attention, and the problem being graphics related this seems to be the obvious place to start.

trunolimit

trunolimit

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'm not trying to be funny but I have a monitor that starts to turn pink and purple at times but I smack it really hard and it goes back to normal. what kind of monitor is it? some old monitores have a degauze mode. use it and see if it helps. I am with digikiwi try using the onboard graphics and see if it works. if not try using the monitor with another computer and see if it works. if it dosn't then you have a bad monitor if it doese then the only thing to do is up date the drivers and softwear of the card.

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hopefully this helps although it sounds useless.
I had an old DELL monitor and I had these speakers next to it.
Well they were not magneticaly shilded so I had a similar problem.
Check you dont have any magnets near your screen or any magnet containing items.

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My monitor is a Starlogic that I bought at OfficeMax 6 months ago, it works perfectly fine hooked up to my laptop and I do have speakers on the desk at all times, but they don't seem to conflict with the monitor no matter where it is hooked up. I'm going to try taking out the graphics card today and see what happens.

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well I took out my graphics card and my computer worked perfectly fine. Now at this moment I just uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled them to test out my graphics card to see if it was just a problem with the drivers. I'll make a reply later to let you know if it works.

Edited by Nickwisni, 04 July 2006 - 10:40 PM.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Cool you're one step closer to fixing things :whistling:

Nickwisni

Nickwisni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
right now its been 7 hours and my computer has not had any problem. Have not tried any of my games on it either though since I don't want to push my luck.