Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE 7 installation problem

• Please log in to reply

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been trying for weeks to install Internet Explorer 7 Beta. I tried with the first version and it did not work. Same story with Beta 2. In each instance, I followed the trouble tree sent by Microsoft for people who could not get the browser to install correctly, and none of the fixes worked. I read somewhere that disabling ZoneAlarm might help, so I tried that. No luck, and I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello zeitwatch1 and welcome to geekstogo,
i'm very limited in this area of knowledge as i don't fool around with beta's as i need a program that is reliable for my services. That being said you must understand that since it is still in beta form and will be for some time to come, you most understand that beta's are unreliable, sometimes unstable, and then some users will not have a chance to even try it due to the fact the thier computer may have some issues, wether it be registry or problems with another program installed on your computer that has yet to be fixed with microsoft.
That being said I would like you to first try the new beta 3 that has been released recently within the last 24-48 hours i believe and see if it'll give your computer a chance if not we'll move on to other possible problems.
Let me know what happends good or bad and we'll move on from there.
thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 01 July 2006 - 03:23 PM.

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, James. I was unaware that Beta 3 was out. I will give it a try. And thanks also for the nice welcome!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
no problem, hope all goes well! Let me in on the news, wether it be good or bad.
thanx
James

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Tried to install Beta 3 and it did not work.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You may still have a partial install from previous IE 7 tries. See Known Issues and Workarounds.

This will provide instruction for how to uninstall any previous version of IE 7 just in case the partial install is causing you to hang. Please note the ones under installation errors. I take it you do have admin rights to install.

Good luck with Beta 3.

Ron

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I do indeed have administrator privileges. I checked everything on that list for which you so kindly provided the link, and it all appears to have been done. An earlier document I read indicated that a registry setting could be to blame. I ran the registry check that was suggested, and it said my registry was set correctly.

The rogue part of me wanted to simply install this Beta version of Windows Vista that I have sitting right here; I KNOW IE 7 is on there. But then the sensible part of me took over and said, "Joe, your computer is runningly perfectly without IE7 Beta OR Windows Vista Beta. Wait until the bugs are worked out and install it when the final version is released in..." And that's when the sensible part stopped because he wasn't sure exactly how far back that release date will be pushed.

ANYWAY, if I can't try IE7 Beta, my world will not end. Heck, I use Firefox 95% of the time, anyway, and IE6 does everything it's supposed to do. In fact, one off-topic comment, if you will permit me a small transgression this once: I noticed that Microsoft Update AND Symantec Security Update can now both be run with Firefox. I believe both previously required IE. It's so nice when corporations start playing nicely together!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind suggestions and warm welcomes to the board. I would consider myself one who has above-average knowedge about PCs (and NONE about Macs), but I'm nowhere near the intermediate or expert levels. That's why it's nice to have YOU guys here for my really tough questions, and trust me, there will be more! And of course I will do my part by reading the board and offering any assistance I can wherever I might be able to help.

Happy holiday weekend, everyone, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!!

Joe

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It has been one heck of a time with IE 7. You having problems installing, another is having problems uninstalling. You might look at the last part of this post by jhempelayo and see if the suggestion helps:

IE 7 Help, Little Trouble.

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better idea. Happy and safe 4th to all.

Ron