Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lose internet connection after a period of time

• Please log in to reply

grichman

grichman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop in my network. I use a desktop and another notebook in this same network (both used wirelessly) and do not have any problems with those systems. A few months ago this laptop would start losing its connection after being connected for a few hours or days. This happens both when its wired and wireless. Once this happens, I can not re-establish the connection by 'repair'ing the connection or going through ipconfig/release and then renew. The laptop still reports being connected to the router, but I have no actual connection to the internet. In fact, I can do a successful ipconfig/renew, but then I can't ping any websites. The only way to get reconnected after this is a full reboot. Based on another website's suggestion, I tried winsockxpfix, but this did not solve any problems. I also tried to restore my system state to a couple of months earlier and this had no affect. I've also scanned for viruses and adware without success. Please help.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi grichman,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within. You may also want to look for errors that occur around the time of your loss of connectivity, as this may give a greater insight into what's going on.

grichman

grichman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dan G,
I was connected and typed my problem on this computer around 8am on 7/1. At 10:23PM I got this warning in my event viewer:

[b]Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 36
Date: 7/1/2006
Time: 10:23:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MARCI
Description:
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Then this evening, when I tried to connect to a website, I failed. This Error was generated:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 7/4/2006
Time: 8:23:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MARCI
Description:
The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Hope this helps,
Gary