Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a new Computer to an almost completely Foriegn Network

• Please log in to reply

GregWalker

GregWalker

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there, thanks for reading.

I'm taking care of a house for 2 weeks, and, well, it's not exactly the most exciting thing. I asked the owner if I could add my computer to his wireless network, and he said it was fine. I'm not sure he knows his network as well as I believe he does, but I asked him, and at the time he said it wasn't encrypted.

His network is up, in fact, I'm using his daughter's (my friend's) computer right now to write this. It's a wireless network with D-link, I'm getting a signal on my computer (I can set his network as the one my PC runs on) but I can't see any of their files on the network, or access the internet. When I look at the workgroup on my PC, I see only my computer. I can't detect my own computer from the daughter's, but I haven't tried to do that all that much. Her computer is old, confusing, and horribly taken care of (But it still has XP).

I can't access the admin computer because he had taken it with him on the trip.

I gave as much detail as I could, if you have any questions, please ask, and if you have an answer, please let me know.

Also, if I need any passwords or keys, let me know, he'll be phoning to check in every day, and that's when I can get them off him.

Thanks!

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Run "Network Setup Wizard" from the Control Panel. Enter the appropriate information and you should be good to go.

:whistling:

mike needs help

mike needs help

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
somethimes it is not that easy you might need to go onto one of the other computers and use the wireless card you have and record the i.p. address changing 1 digit now if there are any other problems feel free to pm me :whistling:

iceyJDP

iceyJDP

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Is this like a stay at the house type of thing. It seems redundant to have to do this. If he's gone only two weeks, or even longer for that matter, i do not see a clear, valid reason as why you would need to do this. If there is a reason, it is vague and unclear. If you do want help though, i can help you.