Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOW VIRTUAL MEMORY

• Please log in to reply

misternmosey413

misternmosey413

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

This morning, while on the internet, i got endless uncloseable pop-ups and shut my computer down wrong by holding down the start-up button. when i booted back up later on that day, and went to go into Internet Explorer, my homepage, Yahoo, wouldn't load and i got several pop-up notices saying such things as:

MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ RUNTIME LIBRARY and below the heading it said Runtime Error! Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE - "This application had requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information. And when i click okay, Internet Explorer closes.

I've also gotten messages saying: "Low Virtual Memory" and that windows was going to take care of it and expand the memory, or something along those lines.

A final message I received was that the "Paging File is too small for this operation to complete."

I don't know if this is a virus because it resulted from pop-ups and improper shut-down and happened so spur-of-the-momently, but I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me. I can use all programs on my computer except the internet, and I'm using a laptob at the moment for internet access.

I would greatly appreciate any help, or an email: [email protected]

thank you very much. -Sean

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

This morning, while on the internet, i got endless uncloseable pop-ups and shut my computer down wrong by holding down the start-up button. when i booted back up later on that day, and went to go into Internet Explorer, my homepage, Yahoo, wouldn't load and i got several pop-up notices saying such things as:

By the sounds of it you've got some malware on your machine.and need to be sure it's clean before proceeding.Please follow all the directions found. Go to the malware forum
here. After you get to step 5, if your problem is not resolved, post a HijackThis log in the Malware forum. If your problem persists after getting a clean bill of health from a malware expert, return here and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Keep in mind, the malware forum is very busy and can take up to 5 days to receive a reply. There is a special forum called The Waiting Room if you've been waiting for 3 or more days. You can put a link to your topic & a short description of your problem and someone will get with you soon.

What security applications are you running? By this I mean Antivirus, Spyware protection, Firewall.

Also you ought to consider using Firefox which is a browser program like Internet Explorer (IE). A lot of nasty malware on the net focuses on IE because that's what most people use. That doesn't mean Firefox is invulnerable but it is a good first step (and just as easy to use). If IE isn't working this might be a way to use your computer to connect to the internet meanwhiles (might not wrok either though).

Finally, a word of advice: Never, ever write your email address on the internet as [email protected] because that is throwing your address out there for thousands of spambots crawling across the internet looking for email addresses to add to spam email lists. A simple securtiy feature is to write it as myname at myISP dot com. Also, any help you receive will be given in the forum and not per email - this means others researching a similar probem might find the answer here. Hence I woudl go back to my original post and select edit and then delete that email.

Digikiwi

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
you have the same post in the INTERNET AND BROWSERS