Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Install Office XP

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
My daughter has recently bought a second hand Toshiba laptop from her workplace. She was given a paper which contained an unclear statement regarding Windows office xp not being installed on the system. After trying to install my copy of Office XP we have realized that the statement on the paper means that the system will not accept the program. I am unaware of the reason why this restriction should be put into place but before she tries for a refund I thought I would ask to see if anyone can give me some information on the subject and if there is a way around this. If there is no way to install the program would a new XP OS be an answer or is it a simple registry adjustment?
Ste :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
When this laptop was bought from the business, does the business still keep track of it in any way, or expect her to take care of it a certain way? I'm sorry it's such a strange way to word a question, but it's complicated :whistling:

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
When buying or receiving any used computer it should be expected that the operating system and drivers be reinstalled. There is no good way to know how badly the previous owner damaged the OS.

Did she get the reinstall disc or drivers disc that originally came with the machine ? She should have.

Also, perhaps she can successfully install Office 2003.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Thanks for your replies. As far as we know they do not expect her to take care of it in a certain way nor check it. It is her property and she is free to do with it as she likes.
The information we have states that the computer was thoroughly tested and deemed to be in perfect working order but without warranty or tech support. She was also given a copy of a recovery disk labeled 'Toshiba Tecra M2 Recovery Disk'. The statement regarding Office is as follows, - Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc, will NOT be reloaded. However, there are cheap alternatives available.' As you can tell the statement does not clearly state that the system would not accept her copy and so the presumption was that it could.
Ste :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Office 2007 Beta 2 is a 440MB file, if you have DSL / Broadband you could get this to determine if any version of Office will install

http://www.microsoft...spx?showIntro=n

Save the file if you want to install it on other PC's

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The message is that the company did not buy a software license to have Office, so if she wipes the drive and reinstalls with the disk, there will be no Office. One alternative (free) is www.openoffice.org

An Office package is allowed to be installed on one desktop and one laptop owned by the same person. Trying to use it more than that violates the license, just so you know.

Johanna