Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing a password from a protected folder

• Please log in to reply

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello. I have a question for everybody here. I have been having problems with my brand new laptop "corrupting" my hard drives. I'm on my 3rd hard drive in less than 2 months. Best Buy's "Geek" squad tells me that I have bad luck and I keep getting bad hard drives, but I think they are full of crap. So I went out bought a case for the drives to see if they would work externally. Well, they work fine. The problem is that when they were in my laptop I had my username password protected, so I can't access any of my documents on the hard drives now. I have about 4 years of data on there that I need to get out so I can format my drives and use them for something useful (btw, anybody in the market for an external hard drive? :whistling: j/k). Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just in case anybody was interested...

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=308421

mike needs help

mike needs help

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
man you must be having bad luck if it work's good externally i recommend using tit externally to be on the safe side :whistling:

best wishes :blink:

WannabePBA

WannabePBA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I think its the boot sectors that are getting corrupted or something. The diagnostic test said that the SMART (?) section is bad, but that doesn't explain why I've gone through 3 hard drives in less than 2 months. I told the lady at Best Buy "Dont' you think its something else causing the hard drives to go bad?" She said "No, I must have given you a defective replacement." Whatever... I'll just keep taking it back to them and getting free hard drives. And then on my 4th replacement, they'll replace my computer.

mike needs help

mike needs help

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
well if that works for you im sorry if i could not help :whistling:

Dustinduse

Dustinduse

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I would take the new computer... It could many things but not likely is it the Hard Drives