Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP not detecting router

• Please log in to reply

sypher

sypher

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I got a Netgear WGR614v5 Router second hand. It works and shares a wireless connection, but XP wont dtect it as a connected device. Also shouldnt i be able to have some sort of wireless wizard for XP?

Advertisements

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Check Network Connections is running in Services.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage.

Click the + next to Services and Applications and click on Services.

In the right pane scroll down to Network Connections.

Right-click on it and select Properties.

Make sure the service is set to automatic and started.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
XP will never detect the router as a "Found New Hardware" thing, because its not physically plugged into the computer by the normal routes (Ethernet is not an input port for user peripherials like USB) so there is nothing to find.

The Wireless Wizard was, IIRC, added in Service Pack 1 and redesigned (with support for extra options) in Service Pack 2, as well as being given its own spot in Control Panel. But of course if you don't have a wireless card in your computer, it will be kind of pointless running it :whistling: