Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

Xenotron

Xenotron

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey guys and girls,

Have a VERY annoying problem with the computer. I don't know if it's a windows or hardware issue, so I'm starting the post in here incase it's a windows problem. If it's not I'll delete this and move it.

When I built this computer back in August everything was running fine, in fact perfectly. I left for vacation in September, came back a month later (Nov.) and everything wasn't as it should be. The computer desided it would like to start shutting itself down... well more like go into standby, where it can't be woken up. This only occurs when I'm playing a game.

It used to only occur when I played "Gunbound" and now months later it occurs during any game I play. I used to only get a message saying "Signal out of range" before the monitor would shut off (as if in standby, monitor is on but black screen with yellow light instead of green for on). Now it just goes into standby for no reason at any time it feels like it. Sometimes I get the "Signal out of range" message, but mostly it just goes into standby.

The computer is still running, LEDs are on, fans spinning, lights flashing, just no signal to the monitor. When I'm playing a game sometimes it freezes before it cuts out, other times it just cuts out.

I know it's been awhile dealing with this problem, but I don't know what to do to fix it, and I forgot this site. I have updated my drivers and tried switching my ram sticks (tried using just one and then tried with the other). I thought maybe my CPU was overheating, the HSF is seated fine, I even opened the side panel to let some of the hot air escape and use the fan on it to blow cool air against the CPU (this actually lowered overall temps of CPU and case). I relocated second fan (have 2 fans total blowing air in) to blow air also against the CPU and backside of GPU. I unplugged unnecessary LEDs, thinking the 400w PSU didn't have enough juice. I dusted the case and components inside.

I changed the refresh rate to 60hz from the desktop, I used ATI's catalyst program to force 60hz during games, I then did what microsoft said to do with forcing directx to use 60hz. This is all changed from allowing them to run default. Default is when the problems started, and after changing to 60hz the problem still occurs.

At the moment I can't think of anything else I've tried. If I do I'll add it or reply to a post that suggests something. Thank you in advance for any help any of you can offer.

Chris

Advertisements

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
If you suspect overheating then you should be logging it with a program like speedfan. This way you'll know if ti is an overheating issue. The other thing that comes to mijnd is your graphics card. Have you checked whether the problem could be here?

Edited by digikiwi, 02 July 2006 - 07:14 AM.

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have no idea what it is... I don't know if it's an overheating issue, a poor PSU, or a GPU problem. I downloaded and ran speedfan and everest. I will post the voltage and heat/fan information from both programs. I think my motherboard doesn't have any other sensors than that of the CPU, if it does can someone tell me how to configure that; and I will repost. I hope this helps, I have no idea what the problem is, so I don't know where to start.

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8705F, National LM90 (ISA 290h, SMBus 4Ch)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte 7VA Series

Temperatures
Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 5819 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.81 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 4.73 V
+12 V 12.35 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
VBAT Battery 2.05 V
DIMM VTT 1.25 V
Debug Info F 1D FF FF
Debug Info T 41 201 201
Debug Info V 71 4E CE B0 C1 69 42 (77)

everestspeedfan.JPG

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Your voltages and temperatures don't seem too out of the ordinary, but I'm a noob in that field as well. I would suspect the Graphics card may be at issue here - could be software or hardware related. Hang in there and let some G2G staff help you. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Digikiwi

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
If your sensors are correct, your -5v is too far from the normal. When the -5v is off, you will see system hang issues. Since it is not EXTREMELY far off, I would speculate that your computer has time to put itself on standby upon detecting this fluctuation in voltage.

This is, of course, all assuming that your sensors are operating correctly.

In an effort to avoid changing any hardware, I'd like to check a hijackthis log of your computer. But if everything turns out fine, I recommend replacing your PSU.

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :whistling:

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here is your log in .txt form.

Are there any other programs I can use to see if the voltage are accurate?

*edit* What ARE the normal voltage levels for a PSU? I'm asking incase the problems happens again with another computer. *edit*

Thank you so far for the help.

Attached Files

Edited by Xenotron, 07 July 2006 - 10:31 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I don't see anything suspicious in the log. In fact, it's quite a short log. :whistling:

Normal voltage levels will be anywhere within .5v of the optimal voltage.

For example: the +5v must be anywhere from 4.5v - 5.5v. If it is beyond that, it is too far.

Other voltage-reading programs will yield the same results, since they check the same sensors.

The next time the computer randomly shuts down, write down the exact time. I still want to see if it is something other than the power supply. When it occurs, and you have the time, do this:

Click on Start, Run, type eventvwr in the text box and then press Enter. Click on Application and see if there are any exlamation marks or red X's at the time when your computer shut down. If there is an exlamation mark or X next to an item, double-click on that entry and copy the description of the error. Do the same thing for the System section. Post the description along with the source so I know what the description belongs to.

Xenotron

Xenotron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I was playing a game and it just did it... well a few minutes ago. I went into the event viewer and it didn't have any X's or !'s around the time it happened.

I know my log is short. Computers aren't foreign to me, I don't like having crap running that doesn't need to be. I thought it was a problem with my PSU because I have adequate ventilation, infact I've moved fans around to make it cooler. I tried all the things I thought could cause the problem, but when none of them worked I came here for professional support. I'm no Pro, so thanks for confirming my thoughts and expanding my knowledge on troubleshooting and components.

I'm probably jumping the gun, but I guess it is the PSU that is faulty and needs to be replaced. If that is the case, I guess this one is solved. Thanks again for the help.