Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot configure Windows Firewall

• Please log in to reply

skywriter

skywriter

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am using Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. I ran Spybot today and got several messages such as "antivirus disable notify", and "security disable notify". I checked to fix those problems, and right afterwards, I got a notice that my windows firewall was turned off (it is always on, and it was on before I ran Spybot). When I went to windows firewall, it was grayed out and it said it was being controlled by "Group Policy". I have a standalone laptop and it is not a client of a server. I tried running "GPEDIT.MSC", but it couldn't find the file and I was unable to download it from microsoft. I've run EWIDO twice to check for viruses, but it found none. Something has obviously changed, but I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
If you are running Norton Suite or MacAfee Suite it may have disabled it thru the registry. Are you running a third party firewall? What Antivirus are you running?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you click start then control panel, security centre, change the way security centre alerts me then remove the ticks and click apply

If you run spybot it should show the errors, remove the ticks for those errors

sexyhug

sexyhug

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I to run spybot s&d and get the same message when it finishes a scan. But have always thought these items are part of windows so should be trusted, and i have never got spybot to fix these, have you tried spybot's recovery to see if you can get these items back??

sexyhug

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm running AVAST antispyware (I'm not running Norton or Mcafee). I don't have a third party firewall. I did what you suggested and went to security center and unchecked the notify options and then did a rescan with Spybot. It caught the changes, but windows firewall is still grayed out and it still says that it is being controlled by "Group Policy".

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A third party firewall will be better anyway

http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/

You may get the XP firewall options back after running this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
XP Home does not have group edit (gpedit)

I leave my Windows firewall on (even though Norton tries to kill it!) and I second Keith's advice about getting a dependable third party firewall. I would try the Spybot Recovery suggestion, too. Do you have System Restore turned on? That might do the trick, too.

Johanna

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, a couple of problems. First, I can't find any of the software that cam e with my laptop (its about 4 years old). The software got misplaced during the recent move. Now what? Also, I tried to restore windows to an earlier it version, but it failed. Any suggestion?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can contact Microsoft as they do replace missing software, though it depends what mood they are in, I snapped an Office 2000 CD, called them, they said they could only supply Office XP Pro for 35 USD, others have called and they have said, buy a new one??

You can borrow a same version as was orininally installed CD to run a system file check, or a repair install, though you need to use your product key, not the one from the borrowed CD

You should get the third party firewall, comodo is impressive, though you may want to use another one

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a newer version of windows with SP2, can I use that CD to run a system file check as long as I have the product key for the version I am having problems with?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it, though it may say wrong disc

skywriter

skywriter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Okay. I did everything you sugggested including sfc /scannow, but it did not change the windows firewall. It did not ask for a windows disk when I ran sfc. The firewall still says it is being controlled by "Group Policy".