Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Operating System

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have more than 1 cd-rom in the machine?

Let's format the Primary DOS Partition and see what happens...we may be looking at a raw partition.

Abort and once back at the E:\ prompt, type a: and press "Enter". At the A:\ prompt, type format c: /s (note the spaces in this command) and press "Enter".

Does the formatting operation begin?

Advertisements

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok it appears to be working...it's at 10% as we speak.....

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok it's formatted, what now???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Reboot with the startup disk in the drive and choose option 1 again for cd-rom support. Once at the A:\ prompt, type c: and press "Enter". Do you get an C:\ prompt? Then type e: and press "Enter". Do you get an E:\ prompt? Or do you still get an invalid drive specification error?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I get command prompt C, but not E.... still Invalid drive specification

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...reboot again with the startup disk in the drive. After choosing to start with cd-rom support, watch the text on the screen. It will tell you that the Ram Drive is drive ? (usually D) and will then tell you what the cd-rom drive letter will be. We need that drive letter to access the cd-rom.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
The letter is drive D

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just to double check, D is the cd-rom (this is a bit odd as the virtual ram drive is usually labeled D)?

If it is, in fact, D...get to the A:\ prompt, type d: and press "Enter"

At the D:\ prompt, type setup.exe and press "Enter".

Does the installation begin?

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok the virtual drive IS drive D.

Instead of showing me the CD-ROM drive after I click start with CD-ROM Support, I get this message "The following file is missing or corrupted OAKCDROM.SYS There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS on line 10

Then after a couple of other normal messages I get this one...

Device driver not found: 'MSCD001"
No valid CD ROM device drivers selected

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what I thought...

Download the attached folder to your desktop. Extract the files to a new floppy and boot your machine with it. See if your cd-rom is detected with this disk.

Attached Files

Advertisements

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Now it says when I boot up with floppy and disk in drives, Please remove disk or any other media. Press any key to restart. So I take CD and floppy out and I restart and instead of A:/ I get C:/ command prompt

And the files extracted successfully. It said 18 files extracted and 0 skipped.

Edited by computernewbie, 06 July 2006 - 12:15 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Trying to be stubborn, isn't it? :whistling:

Let's try creating a new startup. When you create this, don't put the floppy into the floppy drive until the process asks for it. Download the Win98SE bootdisk, save the file to your desktop, and double click on the downloaded file to start the process.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok it worked and the drive is X, I typed in setup.exe and it started up but said it couldn't create a temporary folder because it said I needed to create an MS-DOS partition. How do I create an MS-DOS partition?

Edited by computernewbie, 06 July 2006 - 01:43 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
X huh...that's a new one on me.... :whistling:

It appears you now have a working startup disk, but it doesn't like the partition we created with the old one. Boot with the startup in the drive, but this time when you get to the options screen, press Shift + F5 to go directly to the command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk and press "Enter".

You'll want to delete any current partitions, then create a Primary DOS partitition and set it as active. Then you'll have to format again as you did earlier...be sure to shut down and reboot before formatting. (You can use Shift + F5 to get back to the prompt without options)

Once you have completed these steps, boot with the startup disk in the floppy drive and choose option 1 for cd-rom support. At the A:\ prompt, type e: and press "Enter". At E:\, type setup.exe and press "Enter".

Let me know if the installation does not begin.

computernewbie

computernewbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
:woot: :) :woot: :whistling: :blink: :help:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! It has installed Windows 98 successfully and now I will begin installing my software!!!!! again, THANKS!!!!