Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSCONFIG PROBLEMS HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

Naicheng

Naicheng

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay guys,
I know this may sound stupid because I don't know much about computers, but I wanted to know why some startup items and servies remain after I uninstall them. For example McAfee and Trend Micro Internet Security, I have uninstalled a long time ago, and I deleted all their files from my C:/Program Files folder, but when i run: msconfig to configure what starts up, McAgent, McUpdate, MSKDetct, and TMAS_OEMon for startup items and McAfee Task Sceduler, and McAfee Security Center for Services still remain. Although this isn't that big of a deal, it's been bothering me for a while now. Can someone please help me fix this problem and take it off my sys configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
One would think uninstalling them would remove them from the start menu, because they can't possibly work anymore. Hmmm.... easiest fix:

download Mike Lins StartUpCPL and untick everything you don't want to start up. After you install it, look in your Control Panel for a new tab called "start up" It's pretty self-explanatory, but if you don't know which services are safe to disable, either Google them or post back. With this program it's easy enough to experiment, too- just go back in and tick what you want to load at boot.

Johanna

Naicheng

Naicheng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you SOOO much. I used it and deleted all the startup items that were no longer installed onto my computer.

Great program thanks!