Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Black screen?

• Please log in to reply

BadSanta

BadSanta

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, firstly I have an old (but still very spry) AMD 850 Duron 20gHd, award Bios with XP Pro Sp1 updated to Sp2 via updates.
Well its like this, silly me was reading about overclocking (which I know nothing about), and decided to change a setting in the bios to Enable, ummm the "CPU temperature shut down" ?? not sure exactly what it was called but something very close to that. When I hit "Y Enter" the screen went black and thats how its been ever since. I've tried tapping delete on startup and the XP CD but nothing .. just the black screen! Any sugestions on what I can try? Thanx

Ps I've since read a number of reports refering to AMD chip tempretures being misread by bios's, sounds related maybe??

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try this for the Award Bios:
Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS. Hope this works. First though, I would open up the PC, clean the fans and the heat sink on the CPU. Leave the case off and see if you can boot up, meanwhile check that fans are running properly. If in doubt, use a small fan to make sure CPU temp is down.

Ron

BadSanta

BadSanta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx for the reply! I checked it too see if the Cpu fan was still going and it seems thats runing ok. I also took the battery out for a while hoping it might reset the bios but that didnt work either. When I hit the start button I can hear the CPU run for a second or 2 then it stops leaving the black screen? I'm happy to try all sugestions including other possible pc uses such as "boat anchor" etc.