Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloading

• Please log in to reply

Avery555

Avery555

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I guess this is in the right place. When I download a file from the internet it won't fully finish, it'll get around a forth and stop downloading. And after a short while on the internet I get kicked off, My internet service provider is Netscape.

Advertisements

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
What speed and type of connection are you using? How long has this been going on? How close to capacity are you on your hard drive, and how much RAM do you have?

Avery555

Avery555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a dial up connection and the computer is brand new. Nowhere near my hard drive max and just started today.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
are you getting any errors about your downloading

if your are what type of errors

are your windows up to date http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Avery555

Avery555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just says Internet Explorer cannot download file and I get kicked off the internet. Yes, windows is up to date.

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I really don't know what's wrong. You might check your Network Connection settings and see if you accidentally have something set to disconnect at a certain point or after a certain time period. There's always the option of running a full error check and just making sure everything is okay with the hard drive, but you did say the machine is new. And my FAVORITE option: Get high-speed! Most companies have made DSL as inexpensive as dial-up (if it's available to you). Of course cable is an option, too. With broadband, your file will be downloaded before the computer has a chance to disconnect!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
just out of curiousity did this begin to happen after you updated windows?
thanx
James

Avery555

Avery555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Kinda. I was running 98 and decided to upgrade to XP. Of course I bought the full version of Windows XP because I didn't have my 98 where I could find it.

zeitwatch1

zeitwatch1

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Did XP not come pre-loaded on your new computer? Maybe I'm confused...

Avery555

Avery555

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No it didn't. Had to buy seperately.