Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

need to order security system

• Please log in to reply

Sherrie

Sherrie

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
I'm needing to order a new security system for my computer. I'm not sure who/what to go with. Should I stick with McAfee or do you recommend something else/better? Thanks

Advertisements

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
While you can certainly keep McAfee if you have been happy with it, here are two free antivirus programs which I like to recommend.
I use AVG on two of my computers and Avast on a third. I am very happily satisfied with both of them.

-Ryan

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
McAffee / Norton / Symantec products are reasonably good but they tie up an awful lot of system resources, making your computer slow to start up and also slower to run generally. The email filters take forever to check your email.

You might want to try NOD32 or Kaspersky. A lot of geek-inclined folk seem to use one of these two.

I now use NOD32 and after years of Norton products am much happier with NOD32. In conjunction with this I use Webroot's Spysweeper.

This covers my antivirus and spyware protection needs very well. In terms of spyware protection there are also some excellent freeware products such as Spybot and Adaware

Edited by digikiwi, 02 July 2006 - 01:46 AM.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
While I also use AVG Free on 11 of my 13 computer there are two more freeware antivirus programs

Bitdefender 8 Free Edition
AntiVir 7 Free Edition

Sherrie

Sherrie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to check into each program suggested.

I do currently use spybot and adaware on a regular basis and they both seem to work very well for me.

thanks again

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I use
AVG Free Edition Antivirus
Microsoft Defender (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
a² Free
SyGate 5.5 Free Personal Edition

All running from a P-III 500 with 512Mb of RAM. I mention this to illustrate that most security program occupy memory and don't necessially tie up processor resources. I also run with 6 "online scan" programs preloaded. One of the bad thing you will find out if\when you become infected is it is almost impossible to install programs. Your best defense is to have them in place before hand.

Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Hope this is of some help.