Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

internet momentarily disconnects

• Please log in to reply

KDyer4

KDyer4

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Every once in a while my aim comes up with the box that says it got disconnected and is triyng to automatically reconnect. This happens once every couple of hours, sometimes more than once in an hour. Around this same time a 'door slam' sound plays (That usually plays when a buddy signs off of aim), however no sounds in aim are turned on (I've triple checked this). I have also checked everything under sound in control panel to see if some other program was mistakenly set to this sound.

I suspect that whatever is making this sound is also the same thing that is kicking me off of aim. I recently fixed my computer because it had some spyware on it, but the person who helped me (I used this site) said that everything was clean. I can post a hijack this log if you think it'll help.

Thank you!!

Advertisements

KDyer4

KDyer4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I forgot to mention that this problem also started right after my dad updated the router. It's a netgear wireless router model MR814.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
When you are "disconnected" from AIM, can you still go online and browser the internet? Check to be sure. Also see if other computers in the house is having the same problem. It might be something else outside of your router...the line or the router.

KDyer4

KDyer4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
It reconnects so quickly that I've never noticed any problems in my browser. No one else in my house really uses aim for any length of time and I haven't heard any other complaints. The noise of the door slam is kind of what concerns me, because this never happened before and it definitely seems correlated.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Not sure if it could be an AIM issue in itself...Can you try using another computer (on AIM) and see if the same thing happens?

KDyer4

KDyer4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry I haven't been able to reply in a while. I tried using aim on another computer in the house and the exact same problem happened. I also reinstalled aim on this computer and it fixed nothing. It has to be something with the router, any ideas?

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Try resetting the router and see if it still happens.

If it does, call up your ISP and make sure everything is ok.