Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cancel Office Updates - How to ...

• Please log in to reply

yoshihiro

yoshihiro

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello Geeks to Go,

Once upon a time I tried to update my Office suite (without actually having the disc - god knows where it is) and came across a stumbling block: I needed the physical disc to update.
From then on, everytime I want to open MS Outlook, word, excel etc I always get the following system pop up:

"Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office XP professional with Frontpage" then "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Microsoft Office XP Professional with Frontpage' disk and click OK."
I then have to click cancel and I then get error message 1706 - Setup cannot find the required files.

My question is:

How do I cancel these pending updates?

Many thanks for your help :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Cancel it then go to Microsoft Update to see if the download for Office is bigger than the download from Office Update, if it is, install it

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

If there isn't any difference in the file size then go to office update and choose the look for larger files which do not require the installation source option