Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Windows did not start succesfully...."

• Please log in to reply

dans1

dans1

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
So I'm running a Dell Dimension 4600, XP SP2

I was playing a game and when I quit to my desktop I noticed everything was running pretty sluggish. It took me a while (unresponsive programs) but I was able to close all open applications. When I tried to restart, it wouldn't. I would select the option or shut down and nothing would happen. After trying to shut down multiple times, I manually turned my comp off by holding in the power button. When I turned it backon I was greated with the msg: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start succesfully......" I then have the options to start in safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, safe mode w/ command prompt, last known configuration, or start windows normally. I tried the last to options, but to no avail, It kept bringing me back to the same menu. I manually turned off the comp and unplugged it. When I put the plug back in, it powered up. only this time I got a weird message that had "performing automatic IDE configuration" in it. I restarted again and I got the "We appologize..." msg again. What's going on? Did my HD die? Please, any help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I restarted, f8, run w/ command prompt, but after it does its run down list of all these drivers, it brings me back to the "we appologize" menu.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
System restore was worth a look

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, I'll try that but first I wanted to tell you I just ran a diagnostic with my Dell resource CD and when it came to testing my HD I recieved the following error: Error code 0F00:1344 Msg. Block (421572 - there were many of them): Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

The diagnostic said my HD failed the Read test and the verify test.... so maybe this is a HD problem?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can put your drive in another PC as a slave drive then you can get the data off and use a programme like boot and nuke to clear the drive

OR

You can run the repair to see how it does

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ok... I ran XP repair, first chkdsk /p which came up with "CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume"

then ran chkdsk /r which gets stuck at 50% .

So, I buy a new HD, install it as my primary, reinstall windows, go to setup (F2?) at beginning of startup, slave my old HD to the new one? I've never done it before anymore help is much appreciated. Is there anything else I need to know when it comes to saving my data?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you installed XP on the new drive yet?

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Oh no sorry, I was asking if what I'm thinking of doing is correct.

Also, I'm sorry. but I don't know a lot about HDs or installing them but, my manual says serial ATA:
http://support.dell....ecs.htm#1084976
would something like this be compatible?
http://accessories.u...mp;sku=A0244683

I mean, would any ATA drive work, or only specific types?

Edited by dans1, 02 July 2006 - 01:48 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got another PC to put your drive in to, because you could use that to get the data off then see if there is anything you can do to fix it, sometimes boot and nuke or the manufacturer's drive utility can do this

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, the problem is my roomate's comp is older than mine and has a different interface for the HD, and all my other roomates have laptops. :whistling:

oh and what's the differenct between ATA/100 and Serial ATA or SATA (same as serial ata?) CAn I use either?

Edited by dans1, 02 July 2006 - 02:36 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if this helps

http://www.tweak3d.n...howtoinstallhd/

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, so upon examining my comp more, although it can use a Serial ATA, the drive in there was not a SATA, but a regular IDE (and ATA/100? has 40 pin connector) which has the same connectivity as my roomate's drive. So, following your advice, I succesfully slaved my drive to his and I'm able to access and copy data from my HD to his. So what's next? Does this mean there is something wrong with my drive that doesn't really affect the data but means that it will not be able to run alone and needs a master drive? As far as I can tell, the only option I have now is to buy another drive, install my XP, and slave my old one to the new one. Am I correct? And is this a permanent solution? Thanks for your help thus far, you guys are MUCH more helpful that the people on the Dell Support Forums.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can get all the data you need off your drive onto the other drive, you can return it to your PC and then use boot and nuke to clear it, it comprehensively wipes the drive, so could well clear the fault, though it will take 8 hours or so

Install XP and run some diagnostics, if no change, then get another drive

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Download Boot and Nuke

Using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

dans1

dans1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
So, it turns out that some data seemed to be lost off my old HD. I ordered a new one and it should get to me in 3 or 4 days. I'm gonna burn some things to DVD from my bro's comp (since I copied some importants files to it) and I'll finish moving my files off of it. Then I think I'll look into completely deleting the drive like you suggested to see if the drive was really failing or if there's just some corrupted data or whatever. But then again, it is a Maxtor drive and I've just learned that they're apparently prone to failure.

Thanks again for all your help!