Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
:help:Hi again I have had a lot of computer problems lately i have finally got around my windows locked out problem as i couldn't log on and get into my desktop as it kept asking me to register so to cut a long story short please read prevouis locked out posts anyway my latest problem is i have now got a windows log on blue box which is asking for my username and password now i got my Dell sysyem in 2001 and went as far back as i can using all usernames and passwords i can think of and it wont let me in i also now cant press F8 and get into safe mode as the same box comes up is there another way round this as i am still learning what to do as i dont know a lot about computers the help i had from your site has been great please help me again i will post the answer that helped my first problem later Thank you.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
take it to a repair shop they probably know where the override is. its some where inside thr computer but i think you physically have to get to it by removing cover something you shouldnt . only a qualified person should do this . just tell them your situation why you need to get in the computer and for a small fee im sure they will help you . its not a costly thing try radio shack or some repair shop like that. good luck

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you log into the real admin account? At the welcome screen, two taps on Control Alt Delete will bring up a dialog box. Type in Administrator and the real admin password, and if you can get in, you can probably fix everything from there. If your machine came with XP installed, and you never set an admin password, try leaving it blank.

Johanna

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

take it to a repair shop they probably know where the override is. its some where inside thr computer but i think you physically have to get to it by removing cover something you shouldnt . only a qualified person should do this . just tell them your situation why you need to get in the computer and for a small fee im sure they will help you . its not a costly thing try radio shack or some repair shop like that. good luck

Hi rushin1nd
thanks for your idea but i am trying hard not to do that as i am trying to learn how to help myself and others later on if possible if i can do this with some form of help heres hoping i get it right thanks again.

Cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Can you log into the real admin account? At the welcome screen, two taps on Control Alt Delete will bring up a dialog box. Type in Administrator and the real admin password, and if you can get in, you can probably fix everything from there. If your machine came with XP installed, and you never set an admin password, try leaving it blank.

Johanna

Hi Johanna
Thanks for your idea but no it does'nt work as if do what you said it boots into to the dell screen and then windows xp screen and then the log on screen without stopping i can only use the F1 key now as it wont let me into safe mode without the username and pasword and i have tried all the ones that i remember any other ideas would be great. Thanks again

Cheyenne 09

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Hi cheyenne 09, see if this works for you.

Copy the contents in the quote box to notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole]

"SecurityLevel"=dword:00000001

Save as .reg to your desktop. double click on .reg, follow the prompts and merge it with the registry.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Jacee- good idea but he can't get in.
Cheyenne09, Do you have an XP cd?

Johanna

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Oops, right Johanna :whistling:

It sounds like the keyboard isn't being recognized either

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi cheyenne 09, see if this works for you.

Copy the contents in the quote box to notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole]

"SecurityLevel"=dword:00000001

Save as .reg to your desktop. double click on .reg, follow the prompts and merge it with the registry.

:whistling: Hi Jacee Thanks for your idea but i can't get into my desktop and my keyboard is ok please read my other locked out posts to and see if you have any other ideas Thanks alot.

Cheyenne 09

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Read here and see if any of the links can help your situation:
http://www.petri.co....or_password.htm

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Read here and see if any of the links can help your situation:
http://www.petri.co....or_password.htm

Hi Jacee
Thanks for your ideas i cant get them to work but the links were a good idea i cant access my computer now would buying a new harddrive for my own computer work and if so how would i set it up or should i give up and buy a new computer system.my problems have been on going since april. thanks again jacee

ps.i have just found floppy disc that i used to back my dell system back in 2001 but when insert it into my floppy drive it says it is windows 98 is that part of windows xp home edition

Cheyenne 09

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I have gone through most of your other topics and have been following all these here. There has been a lot of good advice given in these posts and it is rather hard to believe that one of these hasn't gotten you into safe mode at least.

Possibly it is a procedural thing you are doing wrong which has caused the advice given here not to work, i.e., pressing F8 once a second at boot up after a total power off shutdown. It has to be hit at just the right time which I'm sure you know by now. Don't remember, after all these posts, whether you might be using a M$ keyboard with your Dell or the original Dell keyboard. If the Microsoft Keyboard, the F lock key has to be on (at least I think that's correct) before the F8 key can be used to get into Safe Mode. Not sure a Dell one has an F-Lock key.

Jacee had a good link where you could get a friend to download the Password Recovery Tool to use from a floppy. Lots of things to try, but many take another Internet connected PC to try I know. You said you couldn't get them to work so guess this is not a problem and you tried them.

The win 98 floppy may be the backup/boot floppy you made. If you have your Win XP install CD, then reinstall Windows and make sure it formats the HD. All data will be los which makes this an extreme optiont. If you need Win XP Setup boot disks: Micro$oft's Help and Support.

Buying a new HD is still an option, but not one I see needed at the moment since you are getting to the login part of Windows. A five year old PC may have a HD problem. Hope you have taken the cover off and made sure the fans, CPU heatsink and interior is clean.

My nickel's worth. :whistling:

Ron

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

I have gone through most of your other topics and have been following all these here. There has been a lot of good advice given in these posts and it is rather hard to believe that one of these hasn't gotten you into safe mode at least.

Possibly it is a procedural thing you are doing wrong which has caused the advice given here not to work, i.e., pressing F8 once a second at boot up after a total power off shutdown. It has to be hit at just the right time which I'm sure you know by now. Don't remember, after all these posts, whether you might be using a M$ keyboard with your Dell or the original Dell keyboard. If the Microsoft Keyboard, the F lock key has to be on (at least I think that's correct) before the F8 key can be used to get into Safe Mode. Not sure a Dell one has an F-Lock key.

Jacee had a good link where you could get a friend to download the Password Recovery Tool to use from a floppy. Lots of things to try, but many take another Internet connected PC to try I know. You said you couldn't get them to work so guess this is not a problem and you tried them.

The win 98 floppy may be the backup/boot floppy you made. If you have your Win XP install CD, then reinstall Windows and make sure it formats the HD. All data will be los which makes this an extreme optiont. If you need Win XP Setup boot disks: Micro$oft's Help and Support.

Buying a new HD is still an option, but not one I see needed at the moment since you are getting to the login part of Windows. A five year old PC may have a HD problem. Hope you have taken the cover off and made sure the fans, CPU heatsink and interior is clean.

My nickel's worth. :whistling:

Ron

HI Major Payne
I have been using safemode for over a month as i couldn't use my computer any other way since being locked out and my keyboard is a dell keyboard that came with my system. I went to the dell website as sujested by another tech here and got the answer to my locked out of notification problem but the person who solved this part of my problem has not been back online since. so now i don't get asked to register everytime i logon but now that part is solved i cannot get into safemode anymore i can only can only get to the logon windows screen asking for the username and password now i have tried all my usernames and passwords that i had since 2001 after buying my dell that came with the windows xp home edition preinstalled here is the advice i got form the other person at dell websiteis as follows the second one worked for me. thank you for your answer.

Cheyenne 09
This is in referense of your query you can disable this types of notification by following methods.
method 1:
The wgatray.exe process makes the check for genuine windows software. If WgaLogon.dll is denied execution right, that WinLogon is unable to call it to check on Windows validity and display notification package at boot, and since WgaLogon is also responsible for running and maintaining WgaTray.exe, no more tray popups either.

To change and disable the execute bit of WgaLogon.dll:

Turn off Simple File Sharing in Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab.
Right click WgaLogon.dll in Windows Explorer and open the Security Tab.
Click Advanced button.
Uncheck the Inherit box at the bottom.
Click the Copy button.
Click OK.
Go through each listed user/group and remove the “Read & Execute” permission for WgaLogon.dll, leaving the “Read” permission as-is.
Click OK to apply the permission changes.
Close the file properties dialog.
Restart the computer.
Turn “Use simple file sharing” on (optional).
Secound method:

Lauch Windows Task Manager.
End wgatray.exe process in Task Manager.
Restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32\dllcache.
Lauch RegEdit.
Browse to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
Delete the folder ‘WgaLogon’ and all its contents
Reboot Windows XP.
Note: With this method, you may be prompted to install WGA Notifications again which can still be unselected.

Third Method:

Another alternative is by using System Restore to restore the PC to a previous restore point that WGA Notifications hasn’t kicked in, and then carefully stop KB905474 from been applied to the system. To use System Restore, go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.

Note: Again, you may be prompted again to install WGA Notification, so it must be bypassed.

Hope this will help you.

Edited by cheyenne 09, 05 July 2006 - 05:19 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

I found out I will have limited time to post because I will be losing Internet service for awhile (Katrina damage repairs). Will not be able to post after tomorrow.

As I see it, you need to back up all the files you wish to keep while you are working from safe mode. I would then reverse the steps taken by restoring all the deleted files to their correct folder(s). These may be available for download online. I haven't checked. May get you back to original problem, but maybe we can get you back into your PC using Normal mode by logging in as usual and removing your original problem another way.

The BEST alternative is to use a DOS Password Recovery tool which you can insert into A: drive (hope you have one) and see what it can do. Once pass the Password Login in Windows there may be other things to do, but I think there's hope. I really didn't like those three Options given as deleting normal system files is not an option normally unless it is malware.

I hope to get back to you and read the original problem more in depth and find where the files you need can be found. Possibly borrow a Win Home Edition install CD and see if it will work to repair what your PC needs. Doesn't always work depending on what the manufacturer has done to HD. I did get online and obtained, not only the Restore CD, but the Windows XP MCE installation CD. Not sure they will do that for you on a 2001 PC.

Should no one take up your post within 3 days for an answer, you can post in the Waiting Room section of this forum. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Ron

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi:

I found out I will have limited time to post because I will be losing Internet service for awhile (Katrina damage repairs). Will not be able to post after tomorrow.

As I see it, you need to back up all the files you wish to keep while you are working from safe mode. I would then reverse the steps taken by restoring all the deleted files to their correct folder(s). These may be available for download online. I haven't checked. May get you back to original problem, but maybe we can get you back into your PC using Normal mode by logging in as usual and removing your original problem another way.

The BEST alternative is to use a DOS Password Recovery tool which you can insert into A: drive (hope you have one) and see what it can do. Once pass the Password Login in Windows there may be other things to do, but I think there's hope. I really didn't like those three Options given as deleting normal system files is not an option normally unless it is malware.

I hope to get back to you and read the original problem more in depth and find where the files you need can be found. Possibly borrow a Win Home Edition install CD and see if it will work to repair what your PC needs. Doesn't always work depending on what the manufacturer has done to HD. I did get online and obtained, not only the Restore CD, but the Windows XP MCE installation CD. Not sure they will do that for you on a 2001 PC.

Should no one take up your post within 3 days for an answer, you can post in the Waiting Room section of this forum. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Ron

:whistling: Hi
I am still locked out of my system and I have just got into this part of my setup menu system security section where you press enter then it gives the password setup my setup is as follows
password status unlocked
system password not enabled
setup password not enabled
post hotkeys F2 and F12
pxe b,s default policy deny
doe's this help me in anyway and inside my drive configuration menu more than one of these is switch off any advice would be great doe's this help my username and password problem Thank you again

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 07 July 2006 - 03:52 AM.