Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sandamon

Sandamon

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
She did try the Windows CD but couldn't get it to boot from there, it might work now.

As far as the DR Dos thing, that sounds like maybe you don't have the same Ultimate Boot CD

Is it the UBCD For Windows version 3.0? Keep in mind that I am not one of the forum experts so if they can solve your problem that is great, I am just trying to help :whistling:

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Kewal - Wannabe1
To answer the first question i retried the wins xp home cd by getting into the bios changing the drive saving and coming out and restarting first thing that happen is dell screen flashs up then black screen blipper in the left corner then it says that it's inspecting hard drive configaration it flashes up failed I just retried this by restarting and it changed to the black screen press any key and it went to the windows blue logon box restarted and got a blue screen windows setup file \i306\ntkrn\mp.exe could not be loaded the error code is 7 setup cannot continue. press any key to exit. Thanks wannabe1 for coming back to help again the answer is yes the dell has an internal floppy and the one that i'm using now has external floppy drive and i don't have any usbs connected when trying to fix thing as i can't use them for the devices i have as i can't get in to use the computer thanks everyone for answering please stick with me Thanks again.

Cheyenne 09

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Take a look at this:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=812580

If you upgraded from Windows98 or WindowsME, there might still be hope :whistling:
Otherwise, i fear you'll have to reinstall

greets

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Take a look at this:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=812580

If you upgraded from Windows98 or WindowsME, there might still be hope :whistling:
Otherwise, i fear you'll have to reinstall

greets

Hi caracas
I am not upgrading i had two versions of windows xp home i cannot reinstall my own as the other version was newer than mine and it won't me install over the newer one. thanks for your reply.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I may be covering old ground here, but bare with me...

Are you offered the choice to boot to either operating system when you boot up?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

I may be covering old ground here, but bare with me...

Are you offered the choice to boot to either operating system when you boot up?

Hi wannabe1 the short answer is no.
CHEYENNE 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go HERE, download, and create the Boot Disk Set for the original operating system installed on your machine. The download links are about half way down the page. This will require 6 floppy diskettes. Let me know when you have completed this step.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Go HERE, download, and create the Boot Disk Set for the original operating system installed on your machine. The download links are about half way down the page. This will require 6 floppy diskettes. Let me know when you have completed this step.

Hi wannabe1
I have just went and downloaded windows xp home edition with service pack 1 utility setup disks for floppy boot install into a folder now how can i put it onto a floppy as it is to big could I burn it to the cd then run it from my cd-rom Thanks again wannabe1

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will require 6 floppies. To create the set, double click the file you downloaded and insert a floppy disk when it asks for one. It will tell you each time when it needs a new diskette until all 6 have been created. Be sure to label each as they will have to be used in order.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 July 2006 - 01:49 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

It will require 6 floppies. To create the set, double click the file you downloaded and insert a floppy disk when it asks for one. It will tell you each time when it needs a new diskette until all 6 have been created. Be sure to label each as they will have to be used in order.

Hi wannabe1
I can't get it to copy to floppy as it says my disks dont have enough space there are 144mb can i do another way Thanks again wannabe1. am i to dumb

Cheyenne 09

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Don't try to copy it to a floppy. The file you downloaded is an application to create a floppy disk set...it requires six (6) floppy disks.

Double click on the file to start the application...it will ask you to insert a floppy disk. When it finishes the first one, it will ask you to insert another one, and so on...until it has created all six floppies.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Don't try to copy it to a floppy. The file you downloaded is an application to create a floppy disk set...it requires six (6) floppy disks.

Double click on the file to start the application...it will ask you to insert a floppy disk. When it finishes the first one, it will ask you to insert another one, and so on...until it has created all six floppies.

Hi wannabe1
When i double click on the application the only options that it gives me is to run or cancel but it copied the first part but did'nt ask for the next disk and i don't want to run it on this computer as it is not mine is there another way to do it i am following all your instructions as closely as i can thanks wannabe1
the floppy drive on this one is an external drive.

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 13 July 2006 - 02:40 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's not actually going to put anything on the machine you are using, it will just extract a bunch of files and put them on the floppy disks. Once you have created the floppies and we know they work, you can delete the downloaded file. I hope it will work on an external floppy drive...I've never tried making the set using one, but see no reason it wouldn't work.

You'll have to click on the "Run" button to create the floppy set. Please try the operation again... :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

It's not actually going to put anything on the machine you are using, it will just extract a bunch of files and put them on the floppy disks. Once you have created the floppies and we know they work, you can delete the downloaded file. I hope it will work on an external floppy drive...I've never tried making the set using one, but see no reason it wouldn't work.

You'll have to click on the "Run" button to create the floppy set. Please try the operation again... :whistling:

Hi wannabe1
I'm back and that worked what do i do now sorry for being slow thank for sticking with me and please give me instructions step by step thanks again.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great! :whistling:

We'll be using these disks to run Recovery Console so we can look at a few things on the machine that won't run.

Do you know how to set the boot priority on the machine you are locked out of? If you do, we'll need to set it so the floppy drive is the first one in the boot order.