Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Great! :whistling:

We'll be using these disks to run Recovery Console so we can look at a few things on the machine that won't run.

Do you know how to set the boot priority on the machine you are locked out of? If you do, we'll need to set it so the floppy drive is the first one in the boot order.

Hi wannabe1
:blink: yes i can do that whats next thanks again for your help :help:

cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 13 July 2006 - 03:13 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Put disk #1 into the bad machine and power it on. It should boot to the floppy disk. When the first disk has loaded, it will ask for disk #2, then #3...just keep feeding it the disks when prompted until all 6 have loaded.

Let me know if you have a question or when all 6 have loaded.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you get to a screen that requires you to select an option, please let me know what options you are presented with...

Edited by wannabe1, 13 July 2006 - 03:35 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Put disk #1 into the bad machine and power it on. It should boot to the floppy disk. When the first disk has loaded, it will ask for disk #2, then #3...just keep feeding it the disks when prompted until all 6 have loaded.

Let me know if you have a question or when all 6 have loaded.

Hi wannabe1
All six have loaded and it ask to setup windows xp now press enter to repair a windows xp installation using recovery console press R f3 to quit it I take it the option I want is 1 to setup thank you very mush wannabe1 awesome thanks again wannabe1.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome, cheyenne... :whistling:

We want to press R to enter the Rcovery Console. You should then be presented with a list of operating systems installed on the machine...let me know if there are more than one and what they are.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

You are quite welcome, cheyenne... :whistling:

We want to press R to enter the Rcovery Console. You should then be presented with a list of operating systems installed on the machine...let me know if there are more than one and what they are.

Hi wannabe1
The list is as follows the recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality. type exit to quit the recovery console and restart the computer 1:c:\windows which windows installation would you like to log onto (to cancel, press enter. your the best wannabe1 thanks again

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 13 July 2006 - 03:52 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press 1 then "Enter". This should take you to a command prompt.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Press 1 then "Enter". This should take you to a command prompt.

Hi wannabe1
I have done that the next line is type the administrator password I don't know what to put in for the password is this where it all goes wrong again iIhope not Thanks again wannabe1 your the best.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just press "Enter"

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Just press "Enter"

Hi wannabe1
I done that it's came up with c:\windows> what now thanks again your the best

Cheyenne 09

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From here, we're going to run a check on the system. Then we'll exit the recovery console and reboot into Safe Mode with a command prompt and run a system restore if we can.

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Note that there is a space between chkdsk and /r. You will probably be told that the disk is in use and asked if you want to run the check on the next reboot. If you receive this prompt, type Y and press "Enter" At the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Remove the floppy from the drive and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart. This check may take a while so be patient...let it finish.

Let me know how this goes.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

From here, we're going to run a check on the system. Then we'll exit the recovery console and reboot into Safe Mode with a command prompt and run a system restore if we can.

At the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Note that there is a space between chkdsk and /r. You will probably be told that the disk is in use and asked if you want to run the check on the next reboot. If you receive this prompt, type Y and press "Enter" At the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". Remove the floppy from the drive and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart. This check may take a while so be patient...let it finish.

Let me know how this goes.

Hi wannabe1
I done the chkdsk /r and pressed enter but it came back with this instead autochk.exe could not be located in either the startup directory or cdrom drive type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of autochk.exe what next Thanks wannabe1 your great.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the prompt, type system32\autochk.exe and press "Enter".

The entire command should be c:\windows>system32\autochk.exe

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

At the prompt, type system32\autochk.exe and press "Enter".

The entire command should be c:\windows>system32\autochk.exe

Hi wannabe1
I did what you said but missed out the 32 sorry so it came back with autochk.exe cannot be found in the specified location I then typed at the c:\windows>system32\autochk.exe and it came back with The command is not recognized type help for a list of supported commands have completely messed up THANKS YOUR THE BEST WANNABE1.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just type system32\autochk.exe and press "Enter"