Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Just type system32\autochk.exe and press "Enter"

Hi wannabe1
At the command prompt I typed what you said again but it keeps comming back with this message the command is not recognized type help for a list of supported commands what next thanks again wannabe1 your the best.do i have to start over thanks again the command that comes upis as follows c:\windows>

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 13 July 2006 - 05:31 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Tell you what...let's just cross our fingers and hope the file system is in good shape and go for the system restore.

Type exit and press "Enter"

Remove the floppy from the drive and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart the machine.

As soon as the machine starts to boot up, start tapping the F8 key about once a second until it boots to the Safe Mode options screen. (If you get a boot priority window, press "Esc" and continue tapping the F8 key) From the options screen, use the Up/Down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and press "Enter".

Let me know if it will boot to a screen with an "Administrator" account on it.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Tell you what...let's just cross our fingers and hope the file system is in good shape and go for the system restore.

Type exit and press "Enter"

Remove the floppy from the drive and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart the machine.

As soon as the machine starts to boot up, start tapping the F8 key about once a second until it boots to the Safe Mode options screen. (If you get a boot priority window, press "Esc" and continue tapping the F8 key) From the options screen, use the Up/Down arrow keys to select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and press "Enter".

Let me know if it will boot to a screen with an "Administrator" account on it.

Hi wannabe1
restarted the machine as you said but came with keyboard failure F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup ulility that the only options what now thanks again wannabe1 your the best.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press F1 and tap the F8 key again.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 July 2006 - 05:55 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi wannabe1
pressed f1 and it just repetes the line and says f1 retry boot and just repetes the message again thank you again you great

Cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Hi wannabe1
pressed f1 and it just repetes the line and says f1 retry boot and just repetes the message again thank you again you great

Cheyenne 09

Hi wannabe1
tried that f1 and f8 f1 repetes and f8 does not seem to do anything no change what now thanks again wannabe1 your the best

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the XP installation cd?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Do you have the XP installation cd?

Hi wannabe1
yes I have one but it does have some scraches on it what will I do with it thanks again wannabe1.your the best

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Depending on what kind of disk it is, we'll either try a repair installation or a parallel installation. If you don't have any important files on the machine, we have a third option, but I always assume there is data to be recovered. So...do you have data you need on the machine?

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Depending on what kind of disk it is, we'll either try a repair installation or a parallel installation. If you don't have any important files on the machine, we have a third option, but I always assume there is data to be recovered. So...do you have data you need on the machine?

Hi wannabe1
I don't have any data that I can't get again whatever option you think is best is fine by me Thanks again wannabe1 your the best.

Cheyenne 09

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok. Let's make this thing run again... :whistling:

Change the boot priority back so that the cd-rom drive is first. Put the XP cd in the cd-rom drive and shut the machine off by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Turn the machine back on...it should boot to the cd. After it loads the setup files, let me know what the first screen you see says on it.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Ok. Let's make this thing run again... :whistling:

Change the boot priority back so that the cd-rom drive is first. Put the XP cd in the cd-rom drive and shut the machine off by pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Turn the machine back on...it should boot to the cd. After it loads the setup files, let me know what the first screen you see says on it.

Hi wannabe1
normal black dell windows screen in the corner f2 - f12 and then goes to windows logon screen username and password that i cant remember.Thanks again your the best wannabe1

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Well...it was worth a shot... :whistling: Take the cd out of the cd-rom drive.

Back to the floppies...this time we're going to use them to enter the setup operation.

Boot priority back to floppy first.

Boot the machine using the floppies and put the XP cd in the drive. When you get the the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press "Enter".

On the next screen, press F8 to accept the agreement.

This next screen, I'll need your input as it could be a couple of different things. Let me know what you see on the screen.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Well...it was worth a shot... :whistling: Take the cd out of the cd-rom drive.

Back to the floppies...this time we're going to use them to enter the setup operation.

Boot priority back to floppy first.

Boot the machine using the floppies and put the XP cd in the drive. When you get the the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press "Enter".

On the next screen, press F8 to accept the agreement.

This next screen, I'll need your input as it could be a couple of different things. Let me know what you see on the screen.

Hi wannabe1
The info on the screen is as follows windows xp home edition setup
if one of the following windows xp installations is damaged,setup can try to repair it
use the up + down keys to select an installation
to repair the secected windows xp installation press R
to continue installing a fresh copy of windows xp without repairing,press esc
c:\windows"microsoft windows xp home edition" this line is highlighted thats the whole message thanks for sticking with me wannabe1 your great.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you been to this point before? Shall we try the Repair? Repairing would leave your files intact.