Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Have you been to this point before? Shall we try the Repair? Repairing would leave your files intact.

Hi wannabe1
do you think the repair will work or just go for the fresh install whatever you think is best works for me thanks again wannabe1 your great

Cheyenne 09

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thinking out loud...if we do the repair, we may end up in the same boat again with the activation problem... :whistling:

Let's do a fresh install. Press Esc We should then get a screen showing partition information. Once again, you'll have to be my eyes...let me know what you see.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Thinking out loud...if we do the repair, we may end up in the same boat again with the activation problem... :whistling:

Let's do a fresh install. Press Esc We should then get a screen showing partition information. Once again, you'll have to be my eyes...let me know what you see.

Hi wannabe1
The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitions space on this computer
use the up+ down arrow keys to select item in the list
to set up windows xp on the selected item in the list press enter
to create a partition in the unpartition space,press c
to delete the selected partition,press d
114440mb disk 0 at Id 0 0n bus 0 on atapi [mbr]
-:partition1 [fat] 39mb < 32 mb free>
c:partition2[ntfs] 114400mb< 92712 mb free>
thats all the info on screen thanks again wannabe1

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Choose this partition: c:partition2[ntfs] 114400mb< 92712 mb free> and press "Enter"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Next we'll format that partition. Format in NTFS and use the full format option, not the quick format.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Choose this partition: c:partition2[ntfs] 114400mb< 92712 mb free> and press "Enter"

Hi wannabe1
done that and pressed C to continue now format the partition using the NTFS file system (quick)
format the partition using the NTFS file system leave the current file system intact(no changes)what now thanks again wannabe1

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
NTFS...full format NOT quick.

This will take a while...let me know when it's finished or if you have a question.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 July 2006 - 08:25 PM.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

NTFS...full format NOT quick.

This will take a while...let me know when it's finished or if you have a question.

Hi wannabe1
The format has started 5% how long does this take roughly ( it's working ) your great wannabe1 Thanks again for sticking with me

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure, cheyenne... :blink:

It will take about 1 minute per GigaByte so it will take a little while. Sit back a relax...you've earned a break. :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

My pleasure, cheyenne... :help:

It will take about 1 minute per GigaByte so it will take a little while. Sit back a relax...you've earned a break. :blink:

Hi wannabe1
Thanks for everything you've been great I can't thank you enough it is now 3-50 am here so it'll be while yet I'll be able to see the sun come up this morning I'll post back later to let you know what happened Thanks again wannabe1 you've been great.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be online for a few hours yet so will be here to help should there be a problem. Next comes the operating system, so we are on the downhill side.

BTW...the sun is just setting here... :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

I'll be online for a few hours yet so will be here to help should there be a problem. Next comes the operating system, so we are on the downhill side.

BTW...the sun is just setting here... :whistling:

Hi wannabe1
it has finished formatting and started to copy files from cd-rom this is what it came up with windows xp home edition setup
setup cannot copy the file:cyycoins.chm
to retry,press enter
if you are installing from cd,make sure the windows xp cd is in the cd-rom drive
to skip this file press esc
caution:if you skip this file,setup may not complete and windows xp may not work properly
to quit setup press f3
whats next Thanks again wannabe1 it's starting to become daylight here you'll be hoping your going to get a rest from me soon your great thanks again.

Cheyenne 09

Edited by cheyenne 09, 13 July 2006 - 09:42 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
cyycoins.chm is a Windows help file. We may get a few more of these if your cd has scratches on it as you said. This one can be skipped...we can pick it up later.

Keep me posted on your progress.

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

cyycoins.chm is a Windows help file. We may get a few more of these if your cd has scratches on it as you said. This one can be skipped...we can pick it up later.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Hi wannabe1
It is just finished the setup this a list of the files that it cannot copy.
setup cannot copy the file:cyzcoins.chm
setup cannot copy the file:digiras.chm
setup cannot copy the file:dmutil.dII
setup cannot copy the file:driver.cab
:dvdplay.exe
:ntartp.chm
:ntchowto.chm
:ntcmdsp.chm
:ntdefp.chm
:ntdos.sys
:ntdos411.sys
:ntdos412.sys
:ntdos404.sys
:ntdos804.sys
:ntgrip.inf
:ntimage.gif
:ntio404.sys
:ntio411.sys
:ntio412.sys
:ntlanui.dII
:ntlanui2.dII
:ntlsapi.dII
:ntmsmgr.dII
:ntoc.dII
:ntshared.chm
:ntdII.dII
:ntmarta.dII
:ntfs.sys
:ntio.sys
:ntmsdba.dII
:ntmssvc.dII
:ntprint.dII
:ntprint.inf
:ntldr
ntoskrn1.exe
:ntdetect.com
that the last file it cannot copy is my windows cd nackered what should I do now as it want to retry f1 and f2 to setup thank for being there it been a long night your great wannabe1 thanks again let me know what to do.

Cheyenne 09

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's not good, cheyenne.

Is there a movie rental store in your area that might be able to resurface the cd for you?

The alternative is to contact microsoft or the machine's manufacturer and explain the problem to them...they may replace it for you. Or, you could purchase a new one.

OR if you know someone with the same version cd, you could use that to install and use your product key.

Right in the bottom of the bag of tricks...I noticed you have a hidden partition on your machine which probably contains the restore files. What kind of machine is this? (make and model #)

Tomorrow's another day...go get some sleep and I'll do the same.

Edited by wannabe1, 14 July 2006 - 08:01 AM.