Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOCKED OUT (can't pass windows log on box)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

That's not good, cheyenne.

Is there a movie rental store in your area that might be able to resurface the cd for you?

The alternative is to contact microsoft or the machine's manufacturer and explain the problem to them...they may replace it for you. Or, you could purchase a new one.

OR if you know someone with the same version cd, you could use that to install and use your product key.

Right in the bottom of the bag of tricks...I noticed you have a hidden partition on your machine which probably contains the restore files. What kind of machine is this? (make and model #)

Tomorrow's another day...go get some sleep and I'll do the same.

Hi wannabe1
I hope you had a goodnight's sleep thanks again for sticking with me last night and this morning I have found an old cd-rom disk that i must've back up my system on when I first got it so I retryed the boot and it copyed right into windows desktop I now have 30 days to activate what do I do. do I do this online or is there another way as I don't want to have anymore problems for a while yet.your the greatest wannabe1 I really can't thank you enough for all your help.

Cheyenne 09 :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Outstanding!!!!

Try to activate online...it should go right through. If it doesn't, give Microsoft a call and activate that way.

Good Job! :whistling:

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Outstanding!!!!

Try to activate online...it should go right through. If it doesn't, give Microsoft a call and activate that way.

Good Job! :whistling:

Hi wannabe1 and other techs
:blink: I think you have a great website that offers help to beginners and experts and those in between. I would like thank all the techs who helped me in my early posts I also wish to to thank all the members who helped as well and wish to thank wannabe1 again your the greatest I can't thank you enough for all your help you all do a good job day in and day out and thank you doesn't cover how happy I am to have the use of my computer back. you are a magic team here at geeks to go thanks again. my problems with my computer have now been solved

Cheyenne 09 :help:

Edited by cheyenne 09, 04 August 2006 - 05:08 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thank you so much for the kind words. It's always a pleasure to help someone like you, who will see the problem through "no matter what it takes". You're a real trooper!

I'm glad your machine is now back in order...believe me, I know what's it's like when your machine goes down. That's what first brought me to Geeks to Go...now they can't get rid of me. :whistling: Come back and visit us...you don't have to have a computer problem...just pop in and say "Hi". We're all family here.

As a side note...I've got Scottish blood running in my veins, too.

wannabe1

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Cheyenne09,
You got lucky because you were helped by one of the most patient and competent techs GeekstoGo has, and 94 posts later, I'm so glad you and Wannabe1 got your problems sorted out. So many times we will work with someone, and the moment they get their problem fixed, they disappear. Thank you for posting your kind words to Wannabe1, he sure deserves them. Now that you're fixed up, don't be a stranger. Pop in any time you have a question or want a clarification.
Johanna
(standing on chair wildly applauding Wannabe1!)

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Cheyenne09,
You got lucky because you were helped by one of the most patient and competent techs GeekstoGo has, and 94 posts later, I'm so glad you and Wannabe1 got your problems sorted out. So many times we will work with someone, and the moment they get their problem fixed, they disappear. Thank you for posting your kind words to Wannabe1, he sure deserves them. Now that you're fixed up, don't be a stranger. Pop in any time you have a question or want a clarification.
Johanna
(standing on chair wildly applauding Wannabe1!)

Hi Joanna
I have just got your post tonight so sorry about my reply being late. I couldn't have sorted my computer problems without wannabe1 he has the patients of a saint he is the greatest. I have just bought myself some new parts for my computer as a treat after all my problems. I got a new memory stick 512MG which now gives me a 1-24 GB of memory which i installed myself but i am having some problems with the new hard drive 250GB as I installed it myself i'm not sure I have done this correctly as my first drive is a sata 120GB I have posted my new problem and have told them I am still learning but I dont think they understand everything I am trying to tell them as I dont know if explained well enough but I am hoping that all works the same as last time as I have had really friendly help from staff and techs and members and everyone really.Thanks for your reply :blink:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Hi folks, I am coming into this discussion very late, and have followed it from the start. Firstly, in helping others repair their computer configurations, we have the most difficulty with DELL. What they are trying to prove is beyond me.

Anyone using a computer should get any teachable text for DOS that they can find...and go on line and copy all the DOS commands that they can find.

Next, collect as many old DOS files that you can find by visiting DOS specific sites and downloading any you find to a folder on the c: drive. On my computer, I have c:\OLD DOS FILES. Once that is done copy the lot of them to the c:\windows\system32 folder. Now, they are accessible to the computer and will all be accessed when you reboot to the safe mode command prompt [c:\]. And from there you can then control the beast a bit more logially.

Remember, computers are as dumb as bricks and unless you have a logical mind, you will never sort anything out...and recall Forest Gump...well, stupid is as stupid does...that is how a computer works. If you put in an incorrect command, it will seem to act stupidly, or illogically.

Although the discussion started out well, it took a nose dive at the c:\windows>system32 command. I am not personally familiar with this command. If I was a computer, logically, I would respond with a large [ ? ] because I can only follow yellow brick roads...i.e. paths to the treasure! So, that being said, and I may be in error, I think we went off course at the insertion of the [ > ] The command should have been: c:\windows\system32\chkdsk

Imagine a tree with limbs on it...and one leaf out on a particular limb...and you tell a blind person to pick it...well that person needs a very specific route to follow to reach the leaf...that is what you have to do ... guide the blind computer to the leaf, in this case the chkdsk.exe file.

From the command prompt in the "safe mode" option, you may also run some of those previously inserted new "old" DOS files that I mentioned...some will work, and others, non DOS V7, files won't.

Next, when booting and you find an error message, like those you found, ie. a particular file was not found, it is because it is not there, corrupt, or the computer is "blind" to how to find it, so you have to show it.

If that is the case, and you can get to that safe mode command prompt...at the c:\ type in...

c:\dir /s [file]

What this tells the computer to do is go to the hard drive, the c:\ drive and do a search [/s] for the file that is the cause of the problem The computer will look high and low for it. If it is there, copy the path to it on a piece of paper [I always keep a note book at the ready...it becomes a how to book later] As the system32 folder is the boot system, copy the file from its found location to the system32 folder. The files can often be found in the c:\windows folder in general.

Once the file is found, and you have the path copied out, then type the following command at the prompt, if it is not already there:

c:\windows\system32 [we are going to use the copy command found there, so follow that up as follows:]
c:\windows\system32>copy c:\windows\ [here is where you found the the file as noted in the path] [leave a space the type in] c:\windows\system32

The above commands will copy the missing, now found file to the correct location for windows to "find it."

Continue the process, with the same command sequence to garner all the missing files together and shepherd them into the system32 folder.

If you were aware enough to make repeated restore points [I do one a day, just after I boot up and find that everything is working as it should] then you can do the following:

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

This tells the computer to go to the c: drive [tree trunk], up the tree to the windows limb, then out onto the system32 limb and then out onto the restore limb...to pick the rstrui.exe leaf. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state. Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from.

Now, here is a super outline I picked up on another site that we should all follow: Print it out and do it right now... it must be done at the safe mode command prompt, as windows is using the files when you are in windows and it will not allow you to disturb them...
-----------------------------------------
How to Perform A Re-Install Of XP

Part one

In part one, you start the Recovery Console, create a temporary folder, back up the existing registry files to a new location, delete the registry files at their existing location, and then copy the registry files from the repair folder to the System32\Config folder. When you have finished this procedure, a registry is created that you can use to start Windows XP. This registry was created and saved during the initial setup of Windows XP. Therefore any changes and settings that occurred after the Setup program was finished are lost.

To complete part one, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

CODE [md => make directory "tmp" on the c: drive...leave a space between the commands on the same line ...\system c:\...]

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

6. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart.
Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step two, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example). To create this file, run the following command when you start in Recovery
Console:

batch regcopy1.txt

With the batch command in Recovery Console, you can process all the commands in a text file sequentially. When you use the batch command, you do not have to manually type as many commands.

Part two

To complete the procedure described in this section, you must be logged on as an administrator, or an administrative user (a user who has an account in the Administrators group). If you are using Windows XP Home Edition, you can log on as an administrative user. If you log on as an administrator, you must first start Windows XP Home Edition in Safe mode. To start the Windows XP Home Edition computer in Safe mode, follow these steps.

Note Print these instructions before you continue. You cannot view these instructions after you restart the computer in Safe Mode. If you use the NTFS file system, also print the instructions from Knowledge Base article KB309531. Step 7 contains a reference to the article.
To complete part two, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Shut Down (or click Turn Off Computer), click Restart, and then click OK (or click Restart).
2. Press the F8 key.

On a computer that is configured to start to multiple operating systems, you can press F8 when you see the Startup menu.

3. Use the arrow keys to select the appropriate Safe mode option, and then press ENTER.
4. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, use the arrow keys to select the installation that you want to access, and then press ENTER.

In part two, you copy the registry files from their backed up location by using System Restore. This folder is not available in Recovery Console and is generally not visible during typical usage. Before you start this procedure, you must change several settings to make the folder visible:

1. Start Windows Explorer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. Under Hidden files and folders, click to select Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
5. Click Yes when the dialog box that confirms that you want to display these files appears.
6. Double-click the drive where you installed Windows XP to display a list of the folders. If is important to click the correct drive.
7. Open the System Volume Information folder. This folder is unavailable and appears dimmed because it is set as a super-hidden folder.

Note This folder contains one or more _restore {GUID} folders such as "_restore{87BD3667-3246-476B-923F-F86E30B3E7F8}".

Note You may receive the following error message:
C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied.
If you receive this message, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article to gain access to this folder and continue with the procedure:

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

8. Open a folder that was not created at the current time. You may have to click Details on the View menu to see when these folders were created. There may be one or more folders starting with "RPx under this folder. These are restore points.
9. Open one of these folders to locate a Snapshot subfolder. The following path is an example of a folder path to the Snapshot folder:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RP1\Snapshot
10. From the Snapshot folder, copy the following files to the C:\Windows\Tmp folder:

CODE

• _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
• _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM

11. Rename the files in the C:\Windows\Tmp folder as follows:

CODE

• Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
• Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM

These files are the backed up registry files from System Restore. Because you used the registry file that the Setup program created, this registry does not know that these restore points exist and are available. A new folder is created with a new GUID under System Volume Information and a restore point is created that includes a copy of the registry files that were copied during part one. Therefore, it is important not to use the most current folder, especially if the time stamp on the folder is the same as the current time.

The current system configuration is not aware of the previous restore points. You must have a previous copy of the registry from a previous restore point to make the previous restore points available again.

The registry files that were copied to the Tmp folder in the C:\Windows folder are moved to make sure that the files are available under Recovery Console. You must use these files to replace the registry files currently in the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder. By default, Recovery Console has limited folder access and cannot copy files from the System Volume folder.

Note The procedure described in this section assumes that you are running your computer with the FAT32 file system. For more information about how to access the System Volume Information Folder with the NTFS file system, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
309531 How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

Part Three

In part three, you delete the existing registry files, and then copy the System Restore Registry files to the C:\Windows\System32\Config folder:

To complete part three, follow these steps:

1. Start Recovery Console.
2. At the command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

CODE

del c:\windows\system32\config\sam

del c:\windows\system32\config\security

del c:\windows\system32\config\software

del c:\windows\system32\config\default

del c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\tmp\software c:\windows\system32\config\software

copy c:\windows\tmp\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\tmp\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam

copy c:\windows\tmp\security c:\windows\system32\config\security

copy c:\windows\tmp\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Note Some of these command lines may be wrapped for readability.

3. Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts.
Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

If you have access to another computer, to save time, you can copy the text in step two, and then create a text file called "Regcopy1.txt" (for example).

Part Four

To complete part four, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.
2. Click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
3. Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a previous RestorePoint.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

REFERENCES

For more information about using Recovery Console, go to the microsoft home page...search for and click on the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

307654 How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
216417 How to install the Windows XP Recovery Console
240831 How to copy files from Recovery Console to removable media
314058 Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console For more information about System Restore, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
306084 How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
261716 System Restore removes files during a restore procedure

...if that seems a bit daunting you could also try...

Repair the Windows XP installation.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device.
See your computer documentation for information about how to do this.
2. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
3. When the instruction to "Press any key to boot from CD" appears, press a key. Your computer starts from the Windows XP CD.
4. When the computer starts from the CD, the system verifies your hardware, and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

• To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER
• To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
• To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Press ENTER.
6. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
7. A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the computer prompts you to select one of the following options:

• To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
• To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

8. Press R.

You'll get to keep your existing apps & settings, but you need to re-install SP2, Windows Updates & any unsigned drivers afterwards.

NOTE: Be aware that you'll lose any protection from Blaster / Sasser type worms. Don't go online without a firewall, whether the built in Windows one or 3rd party.

-all actions will require a vallid XP cd

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi b1 caez01
Thanks for reading my post and for tips you gave I will keep them just in case anything else goes wrong but this part of my problem is solved and I couldn't have done it without finding this website and the friendly people here that dedicate there spare time to this worthy cause for all levels beginners to the experts that need help. personally I can't thank all the people here enough for there time and there help. Thanks again :blink:

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
No problemo! The secret to a stable system is to back up anything and everything daily. It is annoying by as you have already discovered, absolutely necessary.

Go into the following directory and make a copy of this file ...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe

..in the following folder...

c:\BACKUPS

Then make FOUR subfolders:

C:\BACKUPS\REGISTRY
C:\BACKUPS\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS
C:\BACKUPS\SYSTEM32
C:\WINDOWS FILES ONLY [this one will have just the files from the Windows directory, not the folders and all of their contents... open the windows directory and blue in all of the single files, then copy them all to the BACKUPS\WINDOWS FILES ONLY folder.

Don't forget to also make a subfolder with the files noted in the long accompanying letter I sent yesterday. The ones in the c:\windows\system32\config folder. They have to be had through safe mode command prompt on booting ...hit the F8 key repeatedly and go from there.

SECURITY
SOFTWARE
SYSTEM
SAM

Also make any folders you want, in addition to these for your own personal needs.

Here are a few absolute must-have-software, I suggest that you look into getting...at least check them out...they have all been beta-tested by me on my system [XP-NT] and none seems to be beyond the beginner...

1. Registry First Aid [reasonable and worth every penny...not Norton!!!]
2. PC-cillin AV [the best for action and service...not Norton!!!!!] [AVG is free]
3. Trojan Remover
4. Spybot, Search & Destroy [free]
5. Assorted Windows security progs, like Defender [free] [it is also a Trojan remover]
6. a-squared [through the windows XP IExplorer Beta 7 site it is free]
7. ERS2000 [absolutely a must]
8. WinXP booter Floppies [6]
9. Make at least one back-up of your XP CD, and make another with the SP2 and upgrades on it
10. R-Studio file recovery
11. consider 911 CD ...at least check it out
12. Norton Windoctor [the only Norton product which I use]
13. Smarty Uninstaller
14. StopIt
15. WinPatrol
16. Winternals, WinTools and XP Tools
17. WinZip and WinRAR
18. Power Quest Partition Magic
18. Power Quest Drive Image
19. BadCopy Disk Repairer
20. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool [which is really 'a2free"]
21. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
22. PcBugDoctor
23. HiJackThis
24. Driver Magic
25. DriveSnapshot

AVOID ANY PRODUCT THAT DEEP FREEZES OR GHOSTS YOUR HARD DRIVE...it anything goes wrong during the installation or utilization, you are almost guaranteed to have to reformat the hard drive and lose anything of value there. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. If you have to use such a product, then repartition your hard drive and put the most valuable files into the created partion, where it will be frozen but safe from a re-format of c:\

RUN THE REGISTRY ANALYZERS DAILY, BEFORE YOU SHUT DOWN...keep it squeaky clean
DO A TROJAN CHECK AT SHUTDOWN, AND ON STARTUP IF THERE IS MORE THAN ONE USER
DEFRAG BEFORE SHUTDOWN
SET IT UP TO CHKDSK ON REBOOT
DO A SPYBOT CHECK
DO A HIJACKTHIS CHECK
PUT YOUR XP SETUP DISK IN THE APPROPRIATE DRIVE
PUT YOUR DISK #1 FROM THE FLOPPIE SETUP DISKS IN THE a:\ DRIVE BUT NOT ALL THE WAY IN

SHUT HER DOWN AND GO TO BED, LEAVING IT ON THE DEFRAG SETTING...DO ALL DRIVES DAILY

Forget anything...give me a shout...Al

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi b1caez01
Thanks again your reply if I need any more help in this I will give you a shout and I will save your information for future reference so thank you again. :help: :whistling:

Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
b1caez01,
Forget DOS. It's almost obsolete with the XP GUI and it will be redundant with Vista. You don't need to use to DOS to go the long way 'round the barn anymore.

I do not "back up" system files. That is what System Restore is for, and it will automatically create Restore Points. If I trash my "C" drive beyond repair (yes, it's happened) I need to reinstall XP and all my programs anyway. I keep my data on another partition, and I do regular backups to my external hard drive, just in case. Cheyenne09 and Wannabe1 solved her problem, and I'm going to close this thread because that issue is fixed. If we want to talk about any other subjects this thread has raised, let's start a new thread with a meaningful subject title.
Johanna