Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer will not shut down/restart

• Please log in to reply

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a Compaq Presario (I know, ENOUGH SAID) with Windows XP and it will NOT shut down or restart. I can log off and back on with no problem and the Windows logoff sound file isn't corrupted. I've turned off the Welcome and Goodbye screen that you usually see in the Home verison so now it just has a small box in the middle of the screen which at first says "Saving your settings..." then it goes to "Windows is shutting down..." then the box disappears and it just stays there with only the default system background and mouse pointer remaining (which still moves) so it's obviously not froze. To finish turning it off I have to push and hold the power button. That's really all I know because it gives no error message or anything. I used to leave my computer running for weeks at a time before I would even restart it but now that it's midsummer I have to turn it off while not in use as it keeps the room too hot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, click delete and confirm

Download and install speedefrag

http://www.vcsoftwar...SpeeDefrag.html

Run it and use the option to shutdown after it runs

pccromeo

pccromeo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thanks for the quick response Keith. Unfortunately my computer is still not behaving properly. I have shut down my PC several times since deleting the files and scanning with the defrag software and this last time before Windows could fully load I got the following message:

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency, you
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.

That makes several times it has done that since my computer has not been properly shutting down, this time being the most recent.