Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rescueing files from a system crash

• Please log in to reply

trunolimit

trunolimit

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi everyone

My uncles computer crashed and it failed to load windows do to "missing system file". i want to do a clean install but first i want to rescue some songs and videos he has on the hard drive before i wipe it all clean.

here is what i was thinking of doing. taking his hard drive out (we will call it drive A) and puting it as a secondary drive in my computer then boot off of my hard drive (drive B) and just manually taking all the files i want to save frome drive A and store them in drive B. then put drive A back into my uncles computer preform the clean install and put the files back.

Any other ideas on how i can save the info on the doomed drive A? Is my idea of drive swapping a really bad one?

thanks for the support.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's a safe way of making sure you get the data off

You could use boot and nuke to wipe the drive when youget it back into its PC

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Download Boot and Nuke

Using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C