Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Half Life 2 and Doom III

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey y'all......a friend of mine just returned from a trip to China. He brought back the games Doom III and Half Life2. Problem is, the booklets that came with the games are all in Chinese, including the registry codes needed to register the games. Was wondering if anyone here knew where I might find the English versions of the booklets, or perhaps a program that converts to English?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm in no way trying to do anything illegal. He paid full price for these games, he just didn't realize they were in Chinese.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
no there is nothing u cant do any more
trow it away or sell it in ebay lol?

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Heyo, I may have an answer for you. Now if you can't read some of the stuff in this e-mail, you may need to install Simplified Chinese on your comp.

If they're from Aomeisoft, they're actually, really legit copies of the games, and you can register them and get a CD key. You can tell if they're Aomeisoft if they have a little blue label on the front of the box and the manual that says AEC on it.

You need to go to www.aomeisoft.com. Then look for the game -- you'll see a familiar picture, and there should be an accompanying link under it that says CD-KEY. If you don't see it, go to the menu at the top and look for the one that says CD-KEY. Then you pick the game from the list. Thank goodness the Chinese are adapting in so many English acronyms for computer stuff. :tazz:

You'll have to fill in a form. Scroll to the bottom of the screen; it looks very much like a registration form, regardless of the language. ;) As it happens, I can read Chinese characters (albeit slowly and far from perfectly), so I had less trouble than you might. I'll try and walk you through this.

Get the manual for the game and look for the blue sticker stuck around the corner of the cover. It will have the CD-KEY申请号 on it. Scratch the little panel and get that number.

On the form, you'll find a bunch of stuff, but like most forms you can ignore most of it. Only the ones with "*" do you need to worry about. ;)

The first starred box is "真实姓名". That means "full name." Put your name in there. The next box below it has 电子邮箱, that means your e-mail address. Sometimes they'll say this and sometimes they'll say E-MAIL. It's one of those things. :)

The next starred box is for your (full) address. The label reads "详细地址". The line below it has a box and a drop-down selector, you need to fill in both. The box on the left is your postal code (i.e. zip code) and the one on the right is the Chinese province or city district you live in. Well, you don't, so you'll want to pick the last one on the list, which is "其他" and means "other."

The last one is at the bottom, and that's where you put in the number from your manual. Then click the button on the left. If you put in everything right, it'll pop up with a little javascript text box that may garbage up you (even if you have Chinese support installed) but will have the CD-key clearly there. Just write it down. It will also appear on the screen in the box where you filled out the form.

That CD-key should work fine, and it's perfectly legit (at least, the copies I've got are). You MAY have some problems installing the game, because it'll load up complete garbage instead of Chinese. If you can't read Chinese, well, setting your computer up to recognize the language properly on the install is pointless in any case, so don't worry about it.

I know with Half-Life 2 it will autoinstall in Chinese. To fix that, you need to go into the config files (outside the game) and set the language back to English. It's not critical. I don't believe any of the dialogue is in Chinese, but you'll have to put up with all the menus, substitles, etc. being in Chinese otherwise. I don't know about Doom III.

Hope that helps. If they're bootlegs, they're probably screwed up. Bootlegged software is notoriously crummy, especially when it comes to computer games.

Oh, word of warning: Valve and/or ID may or may not be willing to help you if something goes goofy. These are LICENSED legal copies, but that means that support is in Aomeisoft's hands, not theirs. I know this is the case with the Blizzard stuff.